HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   revision surgery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/939906-revision-surgery.html)

roxygirl1 02-19-2013 08:38 PM

revision surgery

I have had long standing sinus problems. 20 years ago, I had a deviated septum corrected and turbinate reduction. The results were fantastic for about 15 years. Five years ago, I started to have a reoccurance of my sinus issues. A ct scan showed that my sinuses were a mess. I went to three different ent's who all reccomended surgery. I had surgery three years ago and again had a wonderful outcome until this year. I have had ongoing sinus problems since November despite using nasal washes daily, four rounds antibiotics, qnasal, oral decongenstants, prednisone, nasoneb. I have had two ct scans. The first showed that the sphenoid sinus was completely occluded. A follow up ct scan 6 weeks later showed that the sphenoid sinus was only partly occluded, but there continued to be problems in the other sinuses. When scoped, the turbinates are occluding the sinuses.

The doctor is proposing SMR Turbinates(H), ethmoidectomy total, sphenoid & maxillary endoscopy w tissue removal, prtl excision turbinates fees image guidance.

I went for two opinions. Both doctors are proposing surgery. I am very leary about undergoing a revision surgery due to the higher chances of complications. Has anyhone gone through a similar situation?

gcsjr 02-22-2013 05:54 AM

Re: revision surgery

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to when you say there's a higher chance of complications with revision surgery because that simply isn't the case. If anything, the opposite is true because some of the tissue has already been removed making it easier for the surgeon to visualize the key anatomical landmarks (and your surgeon is planning to use image guidance which will further reduce the risk).

The bigger question I would be asking the doctors is exactly what is the surgery going to accomplish. Simply removing turbinate and sinus tissue is rarely an effective long-term treatment for sinus issues.

Are the doctors you're seeing ENTs in private practice or do they work in teaching hospitals and specialize in treating patients with chronic sinus disease? If they aren't the latter I would find another doctor. I'd also recommend that you see an allergist/immunologist to see if you can sort out the underlying cause of your sinus issues because until you do that you may continue to have issues.

Ultimately the only good answer is to find a an ENT you really like and trust to help get your sinuses healthy (which may require surgery after you've exhausted the medical options) and keep them healthy. My sense from your post is that you haven't found that doctor yet so I'd keep looking.

roxygirl1 02-24-2013 07:27 PM

Re: revision surgery

Thank you for your response. I have had extensive allergy testing three time over the past 15 years. The most recent testing was two years ago. Nothing showed up. I went back to the doctor this past Thursday with accute bronchitis and no voice. My vocal chords were inflamed and covered with mucouse and puss. I am back on meds. I do have an appointment with a different ent in two days to see what he says.