It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User
Sinus Surgery, To Have or To Have Not??

ok, hoping someone will give me some input here.

My Diagnosis: Slight Septal deviation, concha bullosa causing blocked right maxillary sinus.

My ENT wants to operate. He wants to clear the blockage of the maxillary sinus, and possibly repair the deviated septum, although I had the deviation fixed about 20 years ago, so that part is up in the air.

I have tried nasal sprays, washes daily, antibiotics (long courses) and prednisone. No changes.

My only issues are really slight stuffiness and facial pain that is present about every other day.

I have NO nasal discharge, nothing yellow or green or goopy.

So, do I have an infection or is it just a blockage?

This is considered an elective surgery, so I have some concerns. I'm worried about the anesthesia as I have a history of heart palps. I am also concerned about infection, as I have read that many people are mrsa carriers in their nose.

What are the risks of not having the blockage fixed? One ENT said it's not a big deal, I'd just suffer colds worse than the average person, and my second opinion doc is pressing surgery saying he could make me feel better.

I have a six year old, and three year old twins. I don't want to do anything that puts my life at risk! But I also don't want to let my extreme fears put myself in a different risk category.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus Surgery, To Have or To Have Not??

Well first of all, sinus surgery is definitely not going to put your life at risk unless your surgeon is incompetent and negligent (and in many cases they don't even put you all the way under but have you in twilight sleep). It's extremely safe, is done endoscopically and you normally go home a few hours after the procedure.

Having said that, if you have an ENT telling you that it's not a big deal to skip the surgery, I would skip it. There are some ENTs who LOVE to operate even when leaving things alone is a legitimate option. The concha bullosa can definitely be problematic but a CT scan should tell the doctor whether your maxillary sinus is infected. If it's not, there's really no reason to have the surgery.

Finally, if you decide to have the surgery be absolutely sure that the surgeon has done this many times and has a clear plan for post surgical follow up that involves multiple visits to remove crusts (scabs) that can cause scarring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I would also skip it. I had sinus surgery many years ago because I had a ton of nasal polyps that I am glad were removed, but I still have sinus issues. If you are reasonably comfortable, I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Thanks everyone. I have a follow up appt in two weeks, surgery isn't scheduled till May 1st. So, I'm going to ask some serious questions. I really don't want to do surgery, but my family keeps pushing me to do it. I did it once before and it was a miserable experience. And, low and behold, I need it again.

I haven't done allergy testing or anything to determine chronic inflammation. Should I get this looked at too? I did recently move to a really allergy prone part of California, perhaps that is contributing to my head pain.

Also, I'm only 38 (female) but have been experiencing symptoms of perimenopause. Wondering if my body is just out of wack!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Absolutely have allergy testing done! It's your surgery and no one should be deciding that but you, especially since this is a benign condition and you can live a perfectly good life even if you choose not to have it.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

GCSJR - Why are Concha Bullosa's problematic? ARen't they just air pockets?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
(female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User

It may be linked to another condition and not allergies at all.

However you need to have your medical history checked for any issues with allergies or inflammatory diseases BEFORE the operation is even considered. If this chops up then the operation will not be a complete cure. It may be worth having if your symptoms are keeping you from leading an active life AFTER the other condition is treated.

Secondly the medical staff have a duty to themselves and other patients so they need to swab you to confirm you don't have MRSA before the operation. They don't want to have to close down the entire hospital because of an MRSA out break.

Thirdly you need to have a discussion with your doctors were you have the option of being operated on in a years time if things don't improve.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCat55 View Post
It may be linked to another condition and not allergies at all.

However you need to have your medical history checked for any issues with allergies or inflammatory diseases BEFORE the operation is even considered. If this chops up then the operation will not be a complete cure. It may be worth having if your symptoms are keeping you from leading an active life AFTER the other condition is treated.

Secondly the medical staff have a duty to themselves and other patients so they need to swab you to confirm you don't have MRSA before the operation. They don't want to have to close down the entire hospital because of an MRSA out break.

Thirdly you need to have a discussion with your doctors were you have the option of being operated on in a years time if things don't improve.
Thank you this is great advice! Any ideas on inflammatory diseases? I saw my gp first, she thought it was perimenopause. Then, due to my history of sinus issues, I went to the ent on my own. But, perhaps my facial pain is something else entirely.....

Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyW2013 View Post
GCSJR - Why are Concha Bullosa's problematic? ARen't they just air pockets?
They are air pockets within your turbinates but they can interfere withy the normal drainage of your sinuses or even block the sinus openings in some cases. If they're not causing those kinds of issues there's probably no good reason to do anything.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
They are air pockets within your turbinates but they can interfere withy the normal drainage of your sinuses or even block the sinus openings in some cases. If they're not causing those kinds of issues there's probably no good reason to do anything.
I'm fairly certain that the Concha Bullosa is blocking my maxillary sinus, which is the reason my doc wants to operate.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
(female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User

Unfortunately not being with you in person and not knowing your full medical history means it's impossible to guess what could be the cause of your sinus problems. There are hundreds of conditions where sinusitis is a symptom.

Therefore your GP needs to check your full medical history including your family medical history starting with the most common diseases to eliminate these as causes.

So for example if you smoke that should be tackled before anyone suggests surgery by helping you quit. On the other hand if you have seen the doctor for other quite minor issues over recent years these need to be looked at with your sinus symptoms to see if they indicate something else.

Some doctors don't digest all the recent information on diseases so if your GP has been no good see someone else.

Closed Thread