It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

marip1 HB User
Polyps and Cysts

Does sinus polyps and sinus cysts cause nasal congestion and mucus in the forehead? I've been having nasal congestion, headaches and dizziness for the last 3 weeks. Mucus is white. Took Amoxocillin for 10 days didn't work.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Polyps and Cysts

Of course they do! They are taking up space in your sinuses. Are you scheduled for surgery yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

marip1 HB User

I had a head MRI done because also had some shooting pains in my head couple months ago and it showed a dark spot in the sinus cavity. This week I'm suppose to see my family doctor to talk about the results. I would think my doctor will send me for a sinus cat scan. If it's not an infection maybe a cyst or polyp. If I do need surgery is it outpatient?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
(female)

marip1 HB User

I went to the doctor I do have a sinus infection. What I don't understand why my doctor's office didn't treat this infection sooner. It was last week when they said I would need to come in to discuss my MRI results. They already knew last week I had an infection. It was a friday when they called and I didn't see the doctor until thursday the following week. I think it's time to get a new doctor,

Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
(female)

marip1 HB User

My MRI test results shows complete opacification in the right sinus. Which means it can be a sinus infection, polyps, cysts, tumor. My doctor did not tell me this. All she said I have a sinus infection. My question is can you have a sinus infection with a normal white blood count? I also had a blood test done.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I'm not sure where you're getting the information that complete opacification of the sinus could mean "a sinus infection, polyps, cysts, tumor" but that is a very extreme interpretation of the possibilities. Sinus cysts and tumors are fairly easy to distinguish on an MRI and rarely present as complete opacificaiton.

The most likely explanation by far is a sinus infection (though a cyst or polyp could be contributing to the blockage that is causing the infection).

A follow up CT Scan for a sinus infection would be overkill. Sinus infections are very common and the radiation risks of a CT scan far outweigh the benefit unless the infection doesn't clear up with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

You may want to see an ENT for an endoscopic exam but if the infection doesn't clear up but it sounds like your doctor has recommended a pretty standard treatment for a sinus infection based on the MRI.

Last edited by gcsjr; 04-12-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
(female)

marip1 HB User

I got the information online from a couple of websites. I hope your right about the tumors. I fear this the most. If my infection doesn't clear up, this is my second round of a different antibiotic, I'm planning on seeing an ENT. Your right about the radiation of a CT scan. I rather have a sinus MRI scan instead.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

marip1 HB User

How long does it take for Azithromycin to work? This is my second round of antibiotics. The first antibiotic amoxcillin did not work. It's been 5 weeks that I have this infection. Can viral sinus infections last this long?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

I know they don't always clear up with antibiotics. I have a blocked maxillary sinus (near complete opacification on my ct). My ENT says it's because I have an anatomical block, which is causing the opacification. Mine is caused by swelling and a concha bullosa. I did a round of 10 days on augmentin 800 mgs, and then another 21 days on the same antibiotic.

It did nothing.

Next step for me is surgery, unless I want to deal with head/face pain all day everyday, and feel like my brain is stuck in the fog.

- I feel your pain.
Literally.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
(female)

marip1 HB User

What is a concha bullosa?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
(female)

MollyW2013 HB User

Concha Bullosa is an air pocket in the middle turbinate. Concha bullosa is a very common anatomical deviation.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
(female)

marip1 HB User

Can polyps in the sinus cavity cause antibiotics not to work?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Indirectly they absolutely can. Polyps can block the normal drainage paths in your sinuses which turns the sinus cavities into a perfect environment for bacteria. The antibiotics may clear up an infection for a short period of time but the infection often returns because the mucus collects in your sinus cavities (which can also lead to apinfections that are resistant to antibiotics).

Generally the polyps must be removed (or shrunk using oral corticosteroids) to allow your sinuses to drain correctly and prevent the infection from recurring.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
(female)

marip1 HB User

I did see an ENT. He did a endoscopy in the right nostril. He said he could not see any infection, cysts, polyps, tumors. He thinks the antibiotics cleared the infection. I'm still bothered with sinus problems in the forehead and my left sinus in the face. He told me the inflammation can last awhile after an infection clears up. He said if I'm not better by the end of May he would do a sinusplasty. Can this procedure be done in the office? I had a head MRI done and it showed infection in the right frontal sinus. He told me my face sinuses were o.k. He said all the sinuses can be seen on a brain MRI. I thought only the frontal sinuses can be seen on a brain MRI.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I would hold off on a sinuplasty - that is a fairly major procedure for congestion (and it definitely cannot be done in the office).

I hate to recommend this but I think you need to get a second opinion from someone who isn't so anxious to perform major surgery on you. If you're having inflammation there's lots you can do - from saline rinses to pseudoephedrine (neither of which require a prescription) to steroid nasal sprays and oral steroids. The fact that he didn't recommend medical approaches to address the inflammation is a little worrisome and also makes me think he's in a hurry to operate.

It is true that all of your sinuses can be seen on a brain MRI but MRIs aren't a great diagnostic tool for sinus disease. Most doctors prefer CT scans because they make it easier to distinguish bony structures from inflammation.

Reply Reply