It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
(female)

betty333 HB User
chronic blocked nose

I have been suffering from this for about 2-3 years. I have all sorts of allergies, but before it wasn't a problem, I just had runny nose, itchy eyes, mainly seasonal. Now my nose is blocked most of the time, sometimes one nostril is better than the other. Night times it's worse.
Recently been overseas, only for 1 month, but my allergy completely gone, and my my nose was clear. As soon as we came back, all started again.
Last Oct. I had a surgery for middle turbinate reduction, it helped to some point as before the surgery my nose was 100 % blocked.

I'm wondering if you guys have been suffering from this and if you had that all the time or developed at certain age. Does it improve when you go away from that area?

I honestly can't figure out what could cause it, and why till 2 years ago I had no such symptom.

I hate the nasal sprays, I try to use the saline one only.
All the other are very harmful and cause more damage than good.

Thanks for advice, feedback.
(Also posted in allergies)

Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
(male)

Senior Stuffy HB User
Re: chronic blocked nose

Get some short coarse prednisone to break the cycle. Then get on a nasal steroid - Nasonex or the like. Neti 2 x per day. Try some oil of oregano. That is what is helping me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: chronic blocked nose

Your comments about nasal sprays aren't quite accurate. It's true that over-the-counter decongestant sprays like Afrin can do more damage than good if they're used for more than a few days. That is definitely not the case with steroid nasal sprays like Rhinocort and Nasonex.

Steroid nasal sprays are very effective at reducing inflammation, have very few side effects and are very safe for long-term use. They also require a prescription so'll need to see your doctor to get a prescription for one.

You don't mention whether you're taking an antihistamine to help with your allergy symptoms but that's another thing you should be doing (and fortunately you won't need a prescription for those).

Reply Reply