It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2002, 09:52 PM   #1

CBfromTX HB User
Post CPAP and chronic sinus infections

My fiancee was diagnosed with sleep apnea and has used a CPAP machine (with humidifier) for approximately 18 months. It has worked very well for that purpose, but for about half that time, he has suffered terribly with chronic sinus infections and other sinus problems - primarily sneezing, severe sinus drainage, and infected hair follicles in the nose. Repeated rounds of anti-biotics have provided limited relief, and allery shots and meds have not helped at all.
The ENT doctor suspects that the CPAP machine may be the culprit, even though I clean it religiously. He hates the idea of discontinuing the CPAP machine, and we are both concerned about the risk of letting the sleep apnea go untreated.
Has anyone else experienced these problems with the CPAP machine? Are there any alternatives, or is this an all-or-nothing choice?

Old 04-03-2004, 07:39 PM   #2

jelato HB User
Re: CPAP and chronic sinus infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBfromTX
My fiancee was diagnosed with sleep apnea and has used a CPAP machine (with humidifier) for approximately 18 months. It has worked very well for that purpose, but for about half that time, he has suffered terribly with chronic sinus infections and other sinus problems - primarily sneezing, severe sinus drainage, and infected hair follicles in the nose. Repeated rounds of anti-biotics have provided limited relief, and allery shots and meds have not helped at all.
The ENT doctor suspects that the CPAP machine may be the culprit, even though I clean it religiously. He hates the idea of discontinuing the CPAP machine, and we are both concerned about the risk of letting the sleep apnea go untreated.
Has anyone else experienced these problems with the CPAP machine? Are there any alternatives, or is this an all-or-nothing choice?
I know this is too late to help you! But have you tried it without the humidifier? I dont use one because of fears I had that I would miss cleaning it good and would be blowing/hammering! mold or bacteria down my throat. I have to admit I have a raw throat sometimes, so dont know what is better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread