It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
(female)

betty333 HB User
congested nose despite surgery

Hi

I have this constant nasal congestion for over a year now, most of the time so bad, that I can't breath through the nose at all.
I had middle turbinate reduction last Oct, but it's still about the same as b4 the surgery. My ENT wants me to use nasal steroid sprays, I've tried, didn't work.
Today, I've seen another ENT and he said that I still have an enlarged middle turbinate but also the inferior turbinates are big as well, and I also have a deviated spectrum, though the CT showed a very straight line.
He couldn't answer my question how is it possible that I had a surgery for midlle turbinates so how come they enlarged again? And according to the hospital report all the surgery only lasted 10 min! Is it possible at all to do all that in such a short time???
Now I am completely lost & frustrated, don't know who to believe, should I really have another surgery, or should I get a 3rd opinion?
Has anybody been down that road?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
(female)

MyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB UserMyCat55 HB User
Re: congested nose despite surgery

I was warned when I had my turbinate surgery that they could grow back i.e. enlarge again.

In my case I still use nasal steriods partly because I have an underlying issue that caused the problem in the first place which a nurse discovered this year. If the doctors had treated differently when I first complained I may not have needed surgery.

Anyway yes simple surgercial procedures only take about 10 minutes to do by an experienced surgeon. It can take longer for them to put you under and wake you up than perform the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

betty333 HB User

Can I ask you what's the underlying issue? Interesting what you say, my ENT said it will never grow back! I'm actually not sure if it did, the other guy who I went to see for a 2nd opinion could't see it properly, in his letter he recommended a new surgery for inferior turbinates, no mention of the middle ones, though he told me when was there.
Thanks for confirming the 10 min, it's good to know that it is possible :-)

Which spray are you using? I'm not really in favor for steroid sprays.

I tried a capsaicin spray (natural) and it helped a lot for a few days, but as per instruction, after 3 days had to stop using it. Can repeat it in 2 weeks.
Maybe I get another brand which could be used more often.

I will also try a nasal filter I ordered from ebay, but postage seems to take forever.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Betty,

Sorry to hear you are still having nasal congestion. I answered you on another thread sometime ago and suggested Nasal Strips "Did they help"?...
I have seen the Nasal Filters on a popular website and thought about giving them a try myself. I must say the strips have helped me at night, in the day I'm not too bad.
Pollen is a problem at the moment where I live so I understand how you feel as I am both sneezing and blocked at times.
Let me know how you get on with the Filters when you get them,

Solofelix.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
(female)

Nasal spray is fluticasone furoate.

Both myself and one sister-in-law who had a turbinectomy, plus a mate with nasal polyps and another with hay fever who both had different nasal surgeries but included turbinectomy still use steroid sprays.

Myself, sister-in-law and mate with polyps were operated on in different areas of the UK. The mate with hay fever was operated on in the US.

My sister-in-law and mate complained their surgery didn't work like you. My mate with hay fever was fully informed like me.

The guy with polyps was a smoker and had to give up while the rest of us were non-smokers.
We have worked out his polyps are genetic.

All of us where not allowed to have surgery until we had tried nasal steroids regardless if we were public or private patients the reason is empty nose syndrome. I suggest you google empty nose syndrome as using nasal steroids, which are topical if they are the newer ones, is preferable to suffering from that.

I know a few other people who had nasal surgery but don't know all their details.

I have neutropenia there as my sister-in-law has been found to have no underlying issues yet.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCat55 View Post

All of us where not allowed to have surgery until we had tried nasal steroids regardless if we were public or private patients the reason is empty nose syndrome.
Wow, that's completely the opposite my ENT did. He said no point trying any spray before the surgery, because it won't be effective as my nose is blocked.
I read about ENS, very scary! Though I don't think I have that, as just been in Sydney, 3000 miles from here and after 4-5 days I got better. Not 100%, but ok.
But still not sure if that surgery was needed at all. Very frustrated!
And even more frustrating that ENT can't figure out despite having done allergy test what is triggering it!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

My symptoms get better if the weather is warmer.

There are quite a few nasal steroids which are licensed. One worked for me without the surgery but due to being an older one that is systemic I was sent to ENT.

Last edited by MyCat55; 07-03-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty333 View Post
But still not sure if that surgery was needed at all. Very frustrated!
And even more frustrating that ENT can't figure out despite having done allergy test what is triggering it!!!
Lots are caused by unknown reasons so don't blame the ENT.

My sister-in-laws is. Mine originally was thought to be until this year.

The neutropenia was a chance finding by a nurse who couldn't understand while I was still sick and suffering different illnesses.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Now I am completely lost & frustrated, don't know who to believe, should I really have another surgery, or should I get a 3rd opinion?
Has anybody been down that road?
You shouldn't have another surgery until you have done everything possible to treat your congestion medically and have identified the underlying cause of the congestion.

There are 3 common things that cause congestion: allergies, environmental irritants like smoke and chemicals and acid reflux. Allergies are BY FAR the most common cause of congestion and you mention that you were tested but don't say anything about the results. Have you tried taking an antihistamine every day for 2-4 weeks to see if it helps with your congestion? Allergy tests are pretty good but they're not always 100% accurate because of the wide range of things people can be allergic to.

You should definitely try the steroid sprays as well. They are effective and safe and are specifically designed to help address the inflammation you're experiencing (regardless of what's causing it).

You may also want to try daily saline irrigation using a SinusRinse bottle. It will help sooth the mucus membranes in your nose and often helps wash away any irritants.

Finally, if you have acid reflux that is severe it can contribute to nasal congestion irritating all of the mucus membranes in both your throat and nose causing post-nasal drip and inflammation of the turbinates. If that might be cause of your symptoms the only real option is to treat the reflux and see if the congestion improves.

Unless you can get a handle on what's causing the inflammation the surgery is only treating a symptom and not the cause (and the inflammation will continue to be a problem until you get that sorted out).

Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
You shouldn't have another surgery until you have done everything possible to treat your congestion medically and have identified the underlying cause of the congestion.

There are 3 common things that cause congestion: allergies, environmental irritants like smoke and chemicals and acid reflux.
A lot of people are having an idiopathic cause i.e. no-one knows why they are have issues. So if you can't find why then don't stress.

Also betty333 I think you need to read up more about ENS and the purpose of turbinates. You really don't want any more surgery if a topical nasal steriod spray can reduce the inflammation enough so you can breath through your nose and smell.

Reply Reply