It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
(male)

Plicate5 HB User
Septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery

Hey arashyyy88 and anyone else that can offer advice.
I'm just curious what symptoms you had before the procedure to make you decide to do it and how things have improved?

My doc is currently working on scheduling my septoplasty to repair a deviated septum as well as nasal turbinate reduction. I do have chronic sinusitis but the main reason I've decided to due this is for a sleep disorder. I've gone through the battery of sleep tests and even tried CPAP all for excessive daytime sleepiness. Nothing worked and my doc said my problem was a brain hypersensitive to flow limitation that didn't allow me to get into the right stages of sleep. In other words my narrow hard to breath through nasal passages prevent a good nights sleep though i never wake up or feel i'm getting bad sleep. It's just my EEG shows I don't go into the right restful phases of sleep. So what I tried was breath right strips initially and then advanced breath right and now 2 advanced breath right strips one low down and the other higher up on my nose. That has actually seemed to help and so made me think if my passages were more open from the inside then with or with continuing to use breath right strips I'd get even better sleep.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Regardless of your issue, post surgery both immediate and long term, how well do you breath through your nose post having these procedures?

One friend of mine who had the procedures done said she breathes better through her nose and it also solved some problems she was having with pressure build up in her ears so that leaves me hopeful.

Anyone else have that response?

I'm about 5-6 days post op a Nissen Fundoplication for acid reflux and hope to do the nasal surgery the end of january 2013. Might as well be recovering from everything at once.

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.
Cheers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
(male)

shy978 HB User
Re: Septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery: Decongestant

Hey Plicate5,
Well my surgery did improve my breathing through my nose but I do still get blocked up on one side almost everyday. Sometimes, it's not too bad but sometimes it really annoys me...

I am actually planning on having a further surgery in a couple weeks time where my ENT surgeon is going to almost completely remove the Inferior turbinates. I am just extremely worried and stressed about the ENS (Empty nose syndrome). I have highlighted this to my surgeon who has informed me that this is very rare and won't be a worry for my situation. I have a stupid EMCRS or something disease so my sinuses always get congested for no apparent reason.

I hope that if you have surgery that it helps you. I can definitely relate in having a good night sleep! I am sure your surgery will help you sleep better and be more refreshed during the day. I do tend to get tired quite a bit during the day but I don't think it is a concern. I always breathe through my mouth anyways even though sometimes my nose is clear.

Good luck !

Reply Reply