It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
bad breath due to post nasal drip

Anyone have any tips for getting rid of bad breath that comes from a constant post nasal drip? I keep my teeth super clean and I brush my tongue but throughout the day my husband still tells me my breath smells like mucus.
I have no other medical issues that would account for the smell.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: bad breath due to post nasal drip

Have you tried to get rid of the PND? Sudafed, allergy testing and meds, etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

I can't take Sudafed and the like due to heart arrythmia but I have been allergy tested and I have tried nasal irrigation and it hasn't helped....

Old 07-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

what did the testing show? On antihistamines? Allergy injections? Help me help you!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
but throughout the day my husband still tells me my breath smells like mucus.
Mucus is odorless unless it is infected so it would help to understand what your husband thinks he's smelling because it's not mucus by itself. There are so many other things that can contribute to bad breath like tonsil stones, an infection of some kind or even a dry mouth but PND by itself generally doesn't cause bad breath so it would be helpful to know more about your PND and what, if anything, you know about what's causing it.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I tested positive for certain trees and grass, and did allergy shots for many months but noticed only minimal improvement. I have nasal polyps and wonder if they contribute to the post nasal drip too. I don't take any medication for my allergies.
I DO have tonsil stones occasionally, but not consistently.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Well, there you go. It's probably the tonsils. Even if stones aren't present the tonsils hold the germs. Why haven't you had them removed?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Between your tonsils and the polyps it's likely that one of them is the cause of your bad breath. It's very likely that the polyps are contributing to your post nasal drip and it's very unusual for someone to have polyps that don't impact the drainage pathways in your sinuses, which often leads to stagnant, infected mucus.

Polyps can lead to much more significant problems if they're not treated effectively with steroid sprays, Singulair and even surgery to remove them. Has your doctor recommended treatment for your polyps?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Yes, my doctor wants to give me a steroid injection into the polyp to shrink it down.
I plan to do that within the month.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

And the tonsillectomy? Is it scheduled also?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

no, not one word about that! It was never even brought up.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
Cool Re: bad breath due to post nasal drip

The constant post nasal drip sounds bothersome in itself to me. Have you tried dropping liquid dairy for a few months? If it's not year round it might be pollen sensitivity (a bedroom HEPA air filter might be helpful).

sf

Closed Thread