It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

weez HB User
Post Sinus/ear problems & anxiety

I am currently on meds for anxiety but I guess it's not entirely working or something else is going on. In a nutshell, even though I no longer have the mild depression I still get anxiety on and off. This is my pattern of how it goes - I start to get (sorry to be gross!) phlegm in my throat, pain/burning in my right ear, pain around my eyes and/or on the right side of my head, sometimes diarrea/stomach problems. Later I start to feel lightheaded and dizzy. The sinus symtpms go away within a day or two along with the anxiety. I've had an MRI and a complete physical recently and doc said that I'm healthy. I forgot to tell her of the sinus type symptoms with relation to my anxiety. I had sinus surgery 5 years ago. What do you all think - seperate issues or just part of anxiety?

weez

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
littlesheep1999

Wink

part of anxiety and made worse and worse by worrying about it.. i to suffer with my ears and sinuses due to this.. i had an mri eeg and a examination the other day.... i am now going private for an ent to check over again.. when i am in bed lay on my side the ear facing out feels as if some one is pouring water in it and i can here it and feel it.. and if i move onto the other side the same thing happens.. cus u had sinus sergery your anxiety is about that.. bet when you get checked by an ent and al is normal you will start to worry about something else.. mine is my heart now.. still my head but my heart aswell.. lol just a vicious cicle

------------------
donna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #3

angel444 HB User
Do you ever feel like your swallowing over a lump in your throat behind tonsil and does your ears feel blocked and do they buzz like electricity?

Old 01-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
(female)

weez HB User
yes, my Angel ears feel plugged - like when you are going up in an airplane and a weird feeling in my ears - sometimes it does feel like electricity. I also get the lump in the throat feeling but I haven't had that for a few months.

littlesheep - if it's all cause of the anxiety, how do I get actual physical symptoms like the sinus drainage, runny nose, coughing up phlem etc. Can anxiety actually CAUSE sinusitis? The symptoms are definately not all in my head (no pun intended).

weez

Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 PM   #5

angel444 HB User
YES they are now studying the ears and anxiety for a link between the two
if my ears are bad my anxiety is worse
Do you notice a humming or ringing or an electrical feeling in your ears when you are nervous?
i do and i feel anxiety and ear troubles go along side by side
my nose and ears blocked my anxiety problems are so much worse

Old 01-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #6

Rhino83 HB User
Talking

Hi guys. I've experienced similar problems, and it's interesting to think that there could be a correlation between these ailments. I'm just curious, do any of you have allergies?

I've struggled w/ anxiety and depression for awhile now, but I just found out this past summer that I'm really allergic to grass, trees, mold, and cats. But I never really had any typical symptoms like itchy, watery eyes and the like. I just feel kinda spacey all the time, and my ears feel full, and actually ache sometimes. If you want, check out my post on the allergy forum entitled "chronic lightheadedness" for the whole story. But I've just had a second MRI a few weeks ago, and it showed nothing.

These weird symptoms have been going on since I was a junior in high school, which was about 3 years ago. I search all the time for answers, talking to people, looking on the internet. It's frustrating not being able to find anything. I know how it feels. It has gotten me really down. I've been taking paxil since last October(20mg), and they just upped my dosage to 30 mg, but they also put me on Wellbutrin and Buspar. I hate having to take all these medications. I'm 19 years old for crying out loud, and I feel like I'm 90. I'm sorry if I'm getting off the subject. I'll cut it out, even though I have much more to say. Basically, I noticed the fullness in the ears and the spacey feeling seemed to worsen upon my re-entry into my dorms after break. (I'm a college student.) It could be from the stress of coming back to school, or it could be an allergic reaction. Who knows? I guess I should try to sum up this monstrosity of a post. Do any of you have allergies? Angel, have you heard of any studies linking allergies to ear/sinus problems and allergies? And do you have any specifics concerning the anxiety and sinus study? Thanks for reading this. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I guess I'll stop now before your retinas detach.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Rhino83 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Old 01-21-2003, 08:32 PM   #7
Inactive

ZZTexas HB User
I CAN TELL YALL THIS LAST YEAR WAS THE WORST I EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR HAD ALLIGERIES AND SINUS IN MY LIFE AND GUESS WHAT YES THE ANXIENTY SEEM TO BE THE WORST I HAVE EVER HAD TOO. I MUST HAVE WENT TO THE DOCTOR SIX SEVEN TIMES LAST YEAR WITH THIS SINUS STUFF. WELL AS THE SINUS FINALY GOT BETTER AND BETTER AFTER WHAT SEEMED LIKE A ENDLESS FIGHT CAUSE THE POLLEN WAS THE WORST EVER HERE IN TEXAS LAST YEAR FINALY GOT RID OF THAT STUFF AND GUESS WHAT THE BIG A. WENT ALMOST BACK DOWN TO NOTING AGAIN. I HAVE HAD THE BIG A FOR 20 YEARS AND ONLY THE FIRST YEAR OR SO I HAD IT WAS THE WORST AFTER THAT I LEARNED TO CONTROL IT WELL AND WAS FINE UP UNTILL LIKE I SAID LAST YEAR WHEN THE ALLIGERIES AND SINUS HERE IN TEXAS JUST NEARLY GOT OUT OF CONTROL FOR EVERY BODY WERE I LIVE.

MY OPINION I SURE DO BELIVE 100% ALLIGERIES AND SINUS HAVE A LOTTTTTTTTTTTT TO DO WITH ANXIENTY!!!!!!!!!

ZZTEXAS

Old 01-21-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
Inactive

ZZTexas HB User
ONE OTHER THING I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION TO YALL AND THAT IS THIS. I TOOK CIPRO FOR THIS SINUS INFECTIONS AND THE ANXIENTY INCRESED 110% NEVER HAD IT SO BAD AS I DID LAST YEAR AND GUESS WHAT I WAS WATCHING A TV PROGRAM AND IT CAME ON THAT THEY HAD LINKED THE ANTIBOTIC CIPRO TO ANXIENTY ATTACKS!

AND

SOMETHING TO BACK THIS UP MY BROTHER HAD SINUS HIS WORST LAST YEAR AND THIS GUY HAS NEVER EVER HAD A ANXIENTY ATTACK IN HIS LIFE AND DONT EVEN KNWO WHAT THEY ARE AND GUESS WHAT WELL HE WAS TAKEN CIPRO TOO AND ONE NIGHT HIS WIFE CALLED AND GUESS WHAT HE WAS HAVING A ANXIETY ATTACK FROM HELL HAD TO TAKE HIM TO THE ER ROOM BEFORE HE CALMED DOWN OF COURSE I KNEW EXCATLY WHAT IT WAS AFTER I FIGRUED OUT HIS SYMPTOMS BUT I NEVER SAID ANYTHING TO HIM ABOUT IT BEING ANXIENTY BECAUSE I DIDNT WANT HIM TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT STUFF AND GO TO SEARCHING IT UP ON THE NET CAUSE THEN HE WOULD GO TO THINKING ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME LIKE WE ALL KNOW AND BOOM HE MIGHT GET IT TOO SO TIME WENT ON AND HE IS FINE AS WINE NEVER HAD ANOTHER ONE BUT THE POINT TO ALL OF THIS IS HE WAS TAKEN CIPRO AT THE SAME TIME I WAS WHEN THIS HAPPENED TO HIM AND I KNOW FOR A FACT IT MADE MINE THE WORST IT HAD EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE BUT ITS ALL OVER NOW AND IAM FINE AND BACK TO NORMAL FOR THE MOST BUT JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THIS WITH YALL ABOUT THE ANTIBOTIC CIPRO!!!!!!

ZZTEXAS

Old 01-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #9

angel444 HB User
yes they are doing studies here in australia about anxiety and the ears i will look up the site and leave you the link to it
it is sooooooooo connected the ears and anxiety i find it common sense when you think about it
ears=balance.anxiety =im balance ear problems=body imbalance which causes more anxiety

Old 01-31-2003, 10:24 PM   #10

lysa226 HB User
check out the inner ear disturbances..... vertigo lighheadedness...=anxiety.... its all connected...those with inner ear dysfunction are plagued with anxiety...check it out youll see... god bless

Old 02-02-2003, 01:31 AM   #11
(female)

KorkyDog HB User
Hi. I've had allergies all my life, and I started to have anxiety attacks in 1996. My ears are almost constantly blocked from the allergies. I have a lot of dizziness, but I had that previously just from the allergies. I have a book titled "The Allergy Self Help Book" by Sharon Faelten and the Editors of Prevention Magazine. It lists anxiety as a definite allergy symptom. It's easy to find used ones for sale on the Internet, but it's listed as out of print in the major book site. When I first began to have the anxiety attacks, I read this book and learned that an allergy to mold can easily bring on anxiety. I called a lab and asked about having mold testing done. I was able to speak directly with the doctor, who was very helpful. I described my many symptoms - weakness, rapid heartbeat, sometimes high blood pressure, dizziness, rapid breathing, full blown anxiety attacks. He said these are absolutely things that will happen from mold. My car was tested, and it had a ridicously high mold count. I got rid of that car! I still have attacks, but I do notice a difference when there's mold around - the attacks are much more frequent! For anyone who has allergies, I would definitely suggest considering this as a factor.

Old 02-02-2003, 05:10 AM   #12
(female)

weez HB User
This is very interesting. A few years ago (long before the anxiety attacks) I had vertigo quite badly and had to be treated for it with medication.

How would I go about having my car tested for mold?

Thanks,
Louise

Old 02-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
(female)

KorkyDog HB User
I just went through the yellow pages and called everyone listed under "Laboratories." This one was especially helpful over the phone, so I went with them. They gave me some petri dishes and Q-tips and told me to swipe any places that I suspected mold. The testing was about $40 or so. I think they charged according to how many petri plate samples I brought back. There were about three or four samples.

[This message has been edited by KorkyDog (edited 02-03-2003).]

Old 07-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #14

Robfromboston HB User
Hi Angel, Are they saying ear trouble causes anxiety or anxiety causes ear trouble? I have ear ringing (usually my left ear) which seems to get worse after eating, with a small balance problem (small but drives me nuts) Also I was wondering about your head I get a funny sensation in my right temple, sometimes a burning feeling and sometimes a numbness, about six months ago it was actually larger then the other side, it felt like a fluid retention, but doc say muscle swelling. I was wondering if your was anything like this ? Thanks and good luck Bob

Ps getting anxiety attacks as well mostly in public and when I'm alone, some will driving

Old 07-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #15

Gizmo423hugh HB User
Talking

Hi all!

I am glad I found this site. I suffer from Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome and so the anxiety is really bad.

I have had ear problems since last October. My symptoms were a plugged feeling and also a noise in my right ear. I had been to see my ENT and he told me to use Sudafed. Well, when you have MVPS you should NOT use that. After going through a terrible 3 months or so, my family doctor put me on Zoloft. Unfortunately, it took forever to kick in.

Finally the Zoloft kicked in and I calmed down. But then my gyn put me on hormones. Well, that pushed me over and I quit taking them, then he put me on the pill. I had just started feeling better before he put me on the pill. Well, I can't take that and I am still trying to recover.

My right ear is blocked now and I have a noise in it. I know it is related to the anxiety. The blood vessels constrict and I think that is why the ears go wacky. I know that one of the symptoms of MVPS is tinnitus. Tinnitus can come and go too.

It is so nice to see others are suffering from this too.

By the way, I had an MRI done and 2 ENT's found NOTHING. So that is when my second ENT and my family doctor said it was anxiety.

We shall all get through this.

Gizmo

Closed Thread