It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Blood tests for sjogren's diagnosis

Could someone tell me what are the definitive tests for diagnosis of sjogren's ?
I had the ANA and it was weak positive
I had the Anti SSA/Ro panel and it was negative
yet
extremely dry eyes, opth. said suggestive of sjogren's
dry mouth , with recurring non painful sores
parotid gland swelling
And I have another AI disorder-hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Last edited by osteoblast; 05-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User
Re: Blood tests for sjogren's diagnosis

I wanted to add to my post above the question of whether what I am now left with is getting the lip biopsy? Is that where you would go next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Who did the blood work and did you go to an immunologist? No one could help me until I seen this one good immunologist, he repeated the blood work not trusting my pc's blood work. He wanted his own for whatever reasons, I didn't care and to his surprise it all came back positive for sjogren's and another surprise, autoimmune hepatitis....since then I have had a liver biopsy and they found cirrhosis. I am not a drinker at all.....this was my 5th doctor.

For 3 years I have had many symptoms and blood work....no one paid any attention to my liver enzymes that were always high....then in December I just could not get out of bed. They have me on medicine now but you must be your own advocate and keep pushing for more help from the doctor......that's my advice to anyone.
gcb in pgh

Old 06-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
(female)

GINGERGIRL99 HB User

I read your post, my blood work for sjrogrens ab was negative but my lip biopsy was positive and my symptoms were positve also. please have the bx,it is a little uncomfortable post procedure,but it may provide you with the answeres you seek. i have been sick for 2 years with much testing . my sjrogrens effects my neuro system. good luck.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

Sjogrensgirl HB User

From what I've researched and based on my Rhematologist my understanding is that a lip biopsy is the most accurate in determining if you have Sjogrens syndrome. However, my doctor advised against it saying that the biospy can cause scarring and because my blood test came back positive he was sure I had Sjogrens syndrome.

From what I've read online it would seem that based on our inherited genetics we are predisposed to have or not have an autoimmune disease. So in a way we are "carriers" and whether or not it remains dormant or surfaces and what causes this is still under debate.

I would hypothesize that based on that information one could start experiencing symptom before their blood test would have positive results. However, self-diagnosing is not the best way to go you should see a Rhematologist because they specialize in autoimmune diseases.

Also, something to be aware of.... many people who are diagnosed with Sjogren's actually have Lyme disease or Mycoplasma as the symptoms are very similar.

Closed Thread