It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Any seronegative Sjogren's?

I'm still trying to get diagnosed but suspect Sjogren's may be at play here. I was tested over a year ago and came up seronegative for the antibodies. I have periodic dry eyes--they get very gritty and irritated when I ride or drive in a car and I am unable to read when I first get up in the morning because they are filmy and gummy and here in AZ they burn when I walk outside in over 100 degree dry heat. I have no dry mouth symptoms but have an enlarged salivary gland that's been there for years. I also have joint pain in shoulders, hips, and morning swelling in fingers, autonomic dysfunction, and lots of fatigue. I'm also seronegative for RF, ANA, and my sed rate is always normal. I read that the Sjogren's antibodies tests are only 75% sensitive but am curious if anyone else here has definite disease while seronegative and if I should push for the eye test and the lip biopsy given my lack of dry mouth and intermittent dry eyes.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Any seronegative Sjogren's?

I also have dry gritty eyes, constantly, and severe dry mouth with lots of dental issues. I also have a lot of bone and joint pain and am ALWAYS tired. Did I mention the fatigue...hahahaha! A right walking disaster at the moment!! I was just tested and my SS-A was 8 (0-99 neg) and SS-B 4 (0-99 neg). Do you know what the incidence of sero negative is? I also am HypoT (Hashimotos). What were your results?

Last edited by hopalong_too; 06-02-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I'd have to look up my results but I have read in numerous places that the antibody testing is only about 75% sensitive (that means 25% of people who have Sjogren's can test negative). I don't know how much stock Rhuemy docs place in the blood work but my negative tests were enough to make my neurologist discount the possibility. Thus is the problem of dealing with doctors who rely too greatly on tests rather than on what is actually going on with the patient.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

vic77 HB User

My doctor had diagnoised me as seronegative today because I have all the symptoms including the dry eyes, ( i had plugs put in last summer) my mouth is so dry I need to carry somethihg to drink with me every where I go, and I cannot get rid of the salty taste in my mouth. He also thinks I have seronegative scleroderma also. I have an appointment to see a rhumy doc next week.

Vic

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Add me to the seronegative list! I've had problems for years and it started after I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease. I have chronic dry eyes, dental problems, dry mouth. Mine is mostly controlled well with Systane and keeping a drink handy at all times
PCOS

Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

What exactly does seronegative sjogren's mean? Does it mean despite negative blood work you are determined to have sjogren's ? I have never heard of this..

Last edited by osteoblast; 06-04-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
(female)

vic77 HB User

osteoblast. seronegative means the test results for the syndromes have come out neg but the patient has enough of the symptoms, and has had them long enough, that they are given the diagnosis.

Vic

Old 06-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
(female)

pieplate1 HB User

hi, just wondering if you have any insight to scleroderma. I am just starting this journey and the debate is still out there, as my blood tests have all been neg.
pieplate1

Closed Thread