It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

Sjogrensgirl HB User
hives on palms?

I'm not sure exactly what this is, but any input would be great.

Off and on for a few months I've noticed after showers the center of my hands feel tight and itchy. On closer inspection it looks like I have many little bumps covering the center of both palms. It continues to itch for 20-30 minutes afterwards. The secretary at the doctor's office said the hives could be from having the water too hot. I don't really buy that, this is not the first hot shower I've ever had.

So far I've been diagnosed with Primary Sjogren's Syndrome and Raynaud's phenomenon. I went to see my doctor this week for hand and feet tingling/pain which he mentioned might be neuropathy.

I feel like I'm falling a part. I would just like to get to the point where I know everything I have so I can start moving forward. *sigh*

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

vic77 HB User
Re: hives on palms?

I get hives every once in a while on the palms of my hands, which are easier to see after I have had my hands in water. At first I thought it was dry thick skin, but it never seemed to improves, esp in the summer months.

I tried lotions and cream and nothing seemed to help, I decided to try garlic because it seems to work for almost everything. I would take a clove or two of garlic, chop it up, and then steep in a cup of hot water, like you would with tea. After the water cooled I would dip a paper towel or wash cloth into the garllic water and then wrap it around my hand for about 20 min. It seems to have worked, i have not had the rash sicne last summer.

also, do this at night seeing as garlic has a tendency to smell.

Vic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

Sjogrensgirl HB User

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that. The hives seem to show only after I have exposed them to hot water. Still haven't figured out what causes it.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

When I found out I had Sjogren's this spring I read a lot. When they kept testing me for everything, they noticed my liver enzymes for the last few years had been high. It turns out I have autoimmune hepatitis. So they did a live biopsy. That turned out to be early stage cirrhosis.

In researching cirrhosis one of the signs is red palms.....my palms are very red but I never thought a thing of it since most of the time I am in and out of water.

When I first got sick I broke out in a rash all over that I still deal with today. There is some connection with our immunity, these diseases we have and rashes. If you have not had your liver enzymes checked I would. Mine were not very high but consistently high.

And I don't drink or smoke. The last glass of wine I had was at my sons graduation in 2004. I have COPD and never smoked either. Sjogren's seems to just attack the organs if untreated and I think that happens to many of us. You know the question when you tell the doctor you just aren't feeling well, "Are you depressed" or "You look fine to me" "yes, I am depressed, I don't want an antidepressant, its because I am sick, please find out what is really wrong with me.....be your own advocate........good luck.

gcb in pgh

Closed Thread