It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

patriciaf HB User
Need Humidifier Recommendation (Mold and Bacteria Free)

I need a really good humidifier that remains germ and bacteria free. I need the humidifying aspect for my Sjogrens, but I also have mold poisoning/allergies and therefore need to be hyper vigilant about the air. Does anyone have any good recommendations on what to buy and/or tips on what to stay away from?

Also, does it make a difference whether one gets a cool air or warm air version (other than the obvious fact that one is going to make the room a little warmer and the other a little cooler)?

Lastly, are the more expensive units really that much better than the lesser expensive models? In other words, is this one of those 'you get what you pay for scenarios' or not necessarily?

Any and all input is much appreciated!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
(female)

diagnosedyeah HB User
Re: Need Humidifier Recommendation (Mold and Bacteria Free)

me too, need one, and have same issues. the only thing i think i know is that the warmer air will help break up lung congestion and sinus congestion a LOT more than a cold water one which will probably not do much at all for that. otherwise i will wait to hear what else you find out cause i need one too!! good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i was just browsing the board. My friends mother has sjogrens. I have to run humidifiers in my house for my sinuses. They do need to be cleaned regularly, but i highly recommend Hunter brand of humidifiers. Mine stopped working and if i could have found another one (off season) i would have just bought one. I called their customer service, thinking i would be asked to troubleshoot over the phone. All they said was, we are sorry you are having problems, when did you purchase it? It had been just under a year. The one i bought had a 5 yr warranty. The girls response was, i'm sorry we do not have any right now, but we will get a shipment in in about 3 wks and will send one to you. I got one no questions asked, no proof of purchase needed.

Here is my input and info from another site that i found

warm mist vaporizer/humidifier, remember they do have a heating element, easier for bacteria to grow with the warmth.. more cleaning required

These humidifiers actually boil the water which causes a distilled steam to be expelled into the room. This steam is like a gentle spray of warm water, as opposed to a vapor, and this is concentrated in the area closest to the humidifier. This warm mist is easier to breathe in a cool room. These units are often also used for steaming medications.

They are a little quieter than cool mist humidifiers, and are sold in small portable units. They require more frequent cleaning due to the warm water which encourages bacteria growth in the unit.

ultrasonic (got a cheap one while waiting on my hunter replacement)..fine mist, quiet, but is WET. I had to have a bath towel near it, or i'd walk on wet carpet or tile depending on where i had it.

cool mist
Cool mist models are slightly noisier, though some models have a 'silent' feature for operating in bedrooms. They pass the water over a wick and expel a vapor, that cools down the room temperature and makes it easier to breathe. They vary in size, from units that can be circulated through the house's heating system, floor console units, or room size models.

All humidifiers require regular cleaning to reduce the risk of bacteria, and some models have filters which require changing to maintain performance levels.

here is some info on the hunter's that i have

* Exclusive PermaWick™ Filter Never Needs Replacement don't really agree w/ that
* Mechanical or Digital Humidistat (2.5 & 3.5 gallon models
* Exclusive NiteGlo™ Night Light (selected models)
* Dishwasher-Safe Easy Clean Base & Tank
* Regulated Release™ System
* Airtight, Watertight ToteAway™ Tank with Large Refill Port for Easy Filling
* Whisper-Quiet Hunter™ Fan with Two Speeds (3 Speeds in Selected Models) wouldn't say whisper quiet but not bad
* Automatic Shut-off Available on 3.5 Gallon Models

For me the customer service alone, I would go with a Hunter. They range from $50-80 depending on how many gallons you need. I run one in my living room where i am most of the time 24/7. I have a smaller one that i run in my bedroom at night. The extra humidity also helps my old dog's cough

Old 11-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

patriciaf HB User

Wow, thank you! I had almost forgotten I put this out there. I did indeed find one after much research. I went with the Ecor Ultrasonic Humidifier which seemed to be the one that the bulk of allergy sites recommended most highly. It has all of the bells and whistles: both warm and cool mist, ionic silver stick (to prevent bacterial growth), digital hygrostat with auto shut-off, you name it. Unfortunately, I haven't really noticed a difference and not only that, but it is not only NOT being highly recommended by all of these sites now, it isn't even being offered anymore. I guess I don't need to say more. What a waste. I will try a Hunter instead. Thanks again!!

Last edited by patriciaf; 11-01-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i think i was going to buy one of those (before i had called customer service) and then i read the reviews.. most of them were not good and the vendor that sold them did not have decent customer service.

I definitely notice a difference when it runs out of water. Especially the last 10 days. I've been home sick with a awful cold virus. I cough more when it is out.

Closed Thread