It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
(female)

08kat HB User
Sjogren's and dry eyes

Hey you guys,

So I've just been diagnosed with Sjogren's (after blood work, lip biopsy etc.)

Thankfully I don't have too many symptoms of Sjogren's. The only big one is dry eyes (I have dry mouth and swollen parotid glands, but they're not too serious).

How are you all coping with the dry eyes? My eyes are SO dry that they sometimes get bloodshot red for weeks. Along with enormous pain and sensitivity to bright lights.

I've been told to use drops and heat compresses. But they're not working for me. I've read from other posts that Omega3 helps with dry eyes? Maybe I should try that. And do you think I should get my tear ducts plugged? Anyone want to share some experiences with punctual plugs?

thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
(female)

gcbpgh HB User
Re: Sjogren's and dry eyes

You need to use the natural refreshing eye drops at least 4 times a day, then Restasis twice a day......Make sure you use moisturizing drops nothing like Murine or Visine and the Restasis is a miracle drug......my eyes do the same thing, you look like you are on drugs or have been out partying all night.......get the drops and in a few days you will see the difference. You must also hydrate from the inside out......drink water all day....let us know how it works.......take care........
gcb in pgh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

08kat HB User

Hey thanks gcb! I've never used Restatis..maybe I should give that I try. Can you buy it at any drug store? Right now I'm using Bion Tears, have you ever heard of it? I've been told to use it every two hours..O_O I'm only using it about 3 times a day (I just can't remember to put some in my bag before I leave for the day!)

oh yeah, and the doctor gave me some Tobradex today. I'll see if my eyes will get better..

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

You need a prescription....and then keep it in the refrigerator.....remember in between to use only moisturizing eye drops, not allergy or anything that will dry your eyes more...good luck.....
gcb in pgh

Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

Bren24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08kat View Post
Hey you guys,

So I've just been diagnosed with Sjogren's (after blood work, lip biopsy etc.)

Thankfully I don't have too many symptoms of Sjogren's. The only big one is dry eyes (I have dry mouth and swollen parotid glands, but they're not too serious).

How are you all coping with the dry eyes? My eyes are SO dry that they sometimes get bloodshot red for weeks. Along with enormous pain and sensitivity to bright lights.

I've been told to use drops and heat compresses. But they're not working for me. I've read from other posts that Omega3 helps with dry eyes? Maybe I should try that. And do you think I should get my tear ducts plugged? Anyone want to share some experiences with punctual plugs?

thanks
I suffer from very dry eyes and also cannot stand bright lights. I had punctal plugs at first. They helped but kept coming out. Eventually I had the puncta cauterised (all 4 of them) and this was so much better. The eyes are still very dry and need drops but they are not as bad as before the cauterisation. I hope this helps

Old 04-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
(female)

athena22 HB User

I use (Thera tears Sterilid) and a warm compress in the morning Cvs pharmacies has it. Then I use (Oasis tears plus) you buy this at the opthamoligist. I always felt as if I had an eye infection. only it wasn't after seeing three eye doctors he told me to use these. My eyes were very dry. I was misdignosed twice.
I hope this helps. please let me know if it does.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

duckie08 HB User
Wink Re: Sjogren's and dry eyes

has anyone had any look getting hold of restatsis in Ireland? or know of nay good eye clinics?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

08kat HB User

Wow, I totally forgot about this forum and thread.

Here's an update and what I'm currently using...

Since I started this thread, I developed a corneal ulcer. The ulcer ultimately gave me a scar and now my eye is blurry. That's the bad news.

The good news is that I think I have my dry eyes under control now.
I'm more persistent and consistent with using eyedrops (just regular preservative-free drugstore kind).
I'm also washing my eyelids every night. Can't remember the brand I'm using but I also got it in the drugstore.

I am so glad I don't have any other symptoms besides dry eyes; hope it stays this way forever.

@athena22 I will add the warm compress to my routine, thanks! I've tried Thera Tears once (got a sample) but it irritates my eyes for some reason.

@duckie08 I think you'll need to go to your ophthalmologist to get a prescription. And go to your family doctor / GP to get a referal for an ophthalmologist.

Closed Thread