HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sjögren's Syndrome (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sj-grens-syndrome/)
-   -   Sjogren's and Nose sores/lesions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sj-grens-syndrome/663804-sjogrens-nose-sores-lesions.html)

vibriotko 01-18-2009 10:22 PM

Sjogren's and Nose sores/lesions

Hello everyone. Can anyone who has been diagnosed with Sjogren's tell me if they have sores in the nose(nasal cavity) that we not heal? Also, does anyone have mucus that is yellow, green, or cream white that they expell on a frequent basis. Is anyone diagnosed with Sjogren's also have Crohn's disease?

Thanks

Tracyv 12-13-2009 03:29 PM

Re: Sjogren's and Nose sores/lesions

I have Sjogren's and have had nose sores that seem to take forever to heal (months) only to return again. My nose and sinuses are constantly burning and now my mouth and throat have joined in. I try to keep my nose moist with ointment (can't use saline spray because it burns) but don't know what else to do as this feels like it doesn't relieve the sores or make them go away. Does anyone have suggestions for dry, extremely burning mouth?

tess50 12-29-2009 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=vibriotko;3854330]Hello everyone. Can anyone who has been diagnosed with Sjogren's tell me if they have sores in the nose(nasal cavity) that we not heal? Also, does anyone have mucus that is yellow, green, or cream white that they expell on a frequent basis. Is anyone diagnosed with Sjogren's also have Crohn's disease?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi yes i have this, also have reumatoid arthritis, its very hard as you say, i get very conscious because sometimes my breath smells bad, because of this. So i makesure i always have strong mints on me, and also my nose gets very stingy sometimes and hard inside, its the immune system i know. I inject with embrel twice a week but after my nose always seems to be uncomfortable, this relates to sjogrens discease. Yes its hard i know but i try to plod on. Thanks.

Lindaru 01-03-2010 09:38 PM

Hi, all . . . I have not officially been diagnosed with this but suspect (90% sure) from the symptoms that I have it, too.

My nose dries out just because of this.

What I have been doing is running a humidifier close to where I sit (and moving it to where I sleep at night). I also make sure I drink a lot of fluids (I always have a cup of a non-alcoholic and non-carbonated beverage near me at home and a drink cup wherever I go outside of the house).

The best thing I have found is that after you blow your nose, put a very thin coating of Vaseline in the nostrils. I cannot believe how well this has worked for me with regard to not getting the crusty stuff in my nose or getting nose bleeds any more.

I will still occasionally blow a tiny spot of blood out but that will be it and it is only a couple of days a month.

To help heal sores, my pharmacist recommended twice a day to put Bacitracin ointment in until things start to heal up. Then put it in every night before you go to bed to prevent infection.

Best of luck to you all!

Lindaru :wave:

surreygal 01-13-2010 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=vibriotko;3854330]Hello everyone. Can anyone who has been diagnosed with Sjogren's tell me if they have sores in the nose(nasal cavity) that we not heal? Also, does anyone have mucus that is yellow, green, or cream white that they expell on a frequent basis. Is anyone diagnosed with Sjogren's also have Crohn's disease?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi there:
I get sores in my nose all the time. I get cracks that bleed right at the edges of my nostrils, plus I get nose bleeds from dry sinuses. It's all due to dryness. I use Vaseline and Bag Balm (it is like Vaseline) to lubricate and this helps. I also get cracked skin at my fingertips and on the soles of my feet. Sjogren's dries out all the glands that produce fluid--including skin. Lubricating with lotions is essential, as is keeping well hydrated. My nose constantly drips--I keep the Kleenex people in business! As for Crohn's, this is thought to also be an auto-immune disease (although there is no consensus on that) and one auto-immune disease frequently seems to cause progression to others. This is likely due to the immune system continuing to malfunction. (Rogue antibodies find new ways to attack one's body.) So, there may well be a connection.
I hope this helps. Take good and best wishes. :wave:

5smiles 03-05-2010 08:46 AM

Thanks for the advice! I just recently started having nose bleeds and dryness everyday inside my nostrils. This is quite annoying and I hope your vaseline trick works. Thanks.

Lindaru 03-05-2010 08:52 PM

Hi, Smiles . . . Vaseline works for me. In fact, in September 2005, I was getting almost hemorrhagic nose bleeds that required cauterization.

The doctor that did it was the one that said to start using Vaseline. For some reason, saline spray would make it bleed more (and they said it does for some people), so that and running the humidifier seems to keep everything in check.

Like I said before, I will still occasionally blow a spot or so of blood out of my nose but it is nothing like a regular nose bleed and I am grateful for that.

Those used to scare me so bad. I could just be watching television or sleeping and the gushing would start! When they were that bad, I used to be afraid to even get up and walk into another room.

Take care and let us know how it works for you!

Lindaru :)