It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
(male)

blackbearfamily HB User
Sjogren's without blood markers?

I've been struggling under a dx of UCTD for a couple of years, although I have always privately suspected this is a "light" case of Lupus SLE.

I've started having severe dry mouth and my dentist is pulling teeth like crazy. Lots of dental issues. My rheumy looked in my mouth this month and said, "yes, you even look dry". She said, "This is real," and she fears Sjogren's, and yet my eyes are not dry.

She ran bloodwork yet again, but this time everything came back normal (except low vitamin D). I even had a normal ANA! This is very strange, as I've had a 1:640 ANA for several years.

Is it possible to have Sjorgren's without any blood markers and without dry eyes? What about my suddenly normal ANA? I am very confused.

Also, it's worth noting that I've been taking Prilosec, which can cause mouth dryness. My rheumy knows about the Prilosec.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

Babs659 HB User
Re: Sjogren's without blood markers?

Well, one thing I just read about ANA...If you tested positive once, that means you probably have an autoimmune disease. A positive test means you don't need to be re-tested. It is quite possible for it to be negative at certain times. Sorry I can't offer more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs659 View Post
Well, one thing I just read about ANA...If you tested positive once, that means you probably have an autoimmune disease. A positive test means you don't need to be re-tested. It is quite possible for it to be negative at certain times. Sorry I can't offer more help.
Where did you read that a positive test once means that you don't need to ever be retested. I just seen my 3rd rhumey and he just wanted to focus on my liver (which I have a liver doctor for) not the sjogrens.

I have been diagnosed with primary sjogrens, fibromyalgia and cirrhosis supposedly caused by sjogrens and some nash but he disagrees with the autoimmune part and that is where his focus went with nine additional blood vials. He did not test for anything for sjogrens.

Afterward he told me he focused on the autoimmune hepatitis which he has ruled out. Why? I wanted help with the sjogrens? He was unhappy I went to a different liver doctor for a second opinion. Nothing to do with him. I will never understand doctors.......thanks for any advice you have....I just want to get rid of the fatigue.....
Gcb in Pgh

Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
(female)

Babs659 HB User

It was in one of two books that I just returned to the library... "Women and autoimmune disease" or "The autoimmune connection". Sorry I can't remember the authors.

Closed Thread