It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
(male)

SjogrenMan HB User
Acidic discharge from eyes

Hello all.

Anyone else with Sjogren's have an acidic discharge from their eyes?

Eye drops do nothing to help. My dry eyes feel like grit is in them.
I have a lot of trouble reading or writing or using the computer.
My eyes also hurt most after dark, even after a nap (so it's not like it is accumulated stress from the daytime).

The acidic discharge started about 10 years ago, before I had sore eyes or trouble reading/writing. Sjogren's was diagnosed 2 years ago but I had it for 2 years before that. The opthalmologists who examined me all kept insisting I didn't have "Dry Eye" because I didn't have damage to the structure of the eye, but couldn't explain my eye pain. Finally I was sent to a rheumatologist who within minutes diagnosed Sjogren's. I later was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (stopped breathing 76 times an hour in my sleep test), so am using a CPAP now and getting better sleep...which I hope might eventually allow my body to heal itself and settle the immune system down enough to get rid of the Sjogren's (fingers crossed!).

Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

Jesse88 HB User
Re: Acidic discharge from eyes

I wouldn't say I have an "acidic" discharge, but I do have a glaze that goes over my eyes and the doctor said that's the Sjogren's causing an imbalance of the fluids that coat the eye. I wonder if you're experiencing something similar. Mine doesn't hurt and I don't have dry eyes, but the glaze makes my vision blurry at times and is very annoying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

watoozie HB User

I have Lupus and Sjogrens. I had terrible cornea abrasions and even my cornea was torn. I had to wear a contact until it healed. I use SootheXP eye drops. Just put a drop in the corner of my eyes before I open them up when waking and it sure helps. I also had the permanent puntcal plugs in my lower tear ducts. Hope you find some relief, I know how painful it can be.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

Babs E Boo HB User

I may be wrong, but don't think you can get rid of Sjogrens, or any autoimmune disorder, by improving your immune system. Would be nice but once the process starts, you can alleviate symptoms but not cure.

Closed Thread