It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Fingernails

My finger nails turn blue when I am cold....is this normal or a sx of sjorgrens

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

puppybreath HB User
Re: Fingernails

It sounds like Raynauds disease to me. It's very common to have it along with Sjogrens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

My finger nails and toe nails turn blue...especially at night.
My nails are also wavy, mainly on my thumbs...

Last edited by tiff-cher; 04-26-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

surreygal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff-cher View Post
My finger nails and toe nails turn blue...especially at night.
My nails are also wavy, mainly on my thumbs...
Hi there:
I get blue fingers, lips and toes all the time. It is a form of mild vasculitis. It is indicative of many types of auto-immune disease, but seems to be fairly benign. Take care

Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I also get the blue too, sometimes greyish black and have a diagnosis of reynauds. According to the latest rheumotologist I consulted, I don't have sjogrens, even though I have the dry eye, dry mouth, calcifications the brain, abnormal brain shrinkage, bladder spasms and all kinds of neurological burning, trembling, etc. However, because my liver alt and ast is high she is sending me back to a GI because she suspects a liver autoimmune disease. (silly me, I thought a rheumy would check for that) She said reynauds can be primary or secondary and no big deal.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
(female)

surreygal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
I also get the blue too, sometimes greyish black and have a diagnosis of reynauds. According to the latest rheumotologist I consulted, I don't have sjogrens, even though I have the dry eye, dry mouth, calcifications the brain, abnormal brain shrinkage, bladder spasms and all kinds of neurological burning, trembling, etc. However, because my liver alt and ast is high she is sending me back to a GI because she suspects a liver autoimmune disease. (silly me, I thought a rheumy would check for that) She said reynauds can be primary or secondary and no big deal.
Hi there:
You may need to educate your rheum. Believe it or not, alot of them still don't have a clue about Sjogren's. I have Raynaud's (sometimes so bad I can't get a key in the front door lock) and the other symptoms you have too, including chronically, idiopathic elevated liver enzymes. SS can cause this too. Have you had a lip biopsy? It isn't 100 %, but it may offer some answers if it tests positive. I wish you well. Take care.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreygal View Post
Hi there:
You may need to educate your rheum. Believe it or not, alot of them still don't have a clue about Sjogren's. I have Raynaud's (sometimes so bad I can't get a key in the front door lock) and the other symptoms you have too, including chronically, idiopathic elevated liver enzymes. SS can cause this too. Have you had a lip biopsy? It isn't 100 %, but it may offer some answers if it tests positive. I wish you well. Take care.
I am having a hard time with doctors. Thanks to this board, I have learned alot about the different symptoms of sjogrens and m.s. I was diagnosed with sjogrens 20 years ago through the schneer's test but it really didn't seem to bother me other than the dry eye and mouth. Now the symptoms are out of control. The neurologist blew me off completely saying if I had m.s. the drugs don't work anyway except for 30%. The rheumotolgist said the brain shrinkage and calcifications found in my brain can go along with sjogrens but only in severe cases and I wouldn't be able to walk. The only good thing out of my visit is her willingness to order the lip biopsy. I see another neurologist next week who supposedly specializes in m.s. After that I may go ahead and get the lip biopsy done. I can't have a MRI so my options are limited. My symptoms are increasing. I have such tingling and jolts in my legs. The cramping is gone for now but the bladder spasms are making me nuts. The urologist said people just get them for no reason. I am finding out what a frustration a HMO can be.
thank you for sharing.

Closed Thread