It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

surreygal HB User
ss and heart problems?

Hi there:
I read an interesting post from last year that unfortunately is closed, so I'll throw out this question and hope for feedback on it.
Does anyone know of a correlation between heart problems and Sjogren's? The reason I ask is that I was born with a ventricular septal defect, which is a fancy way of saying a great big hole between the lower 2 chambers of my heart. These defects sometimes spontaneously heal, but after multiple trips to the ER with a very blue baby, I think my parents convinced the doctors that I could benefit from medical intervention if I wished to reach toddler-hood. At 4 1/2 years of age I underwent open heart surgery, a very maverick procedure in 1967, done by a specially trained team from the Mayo clinic, no less! (Don't I feel special!) Despite being told I had a 75 % chance of dying from the operation, I pulled through strong and stubborn. In fact, my heart is in phenomenal shape, and should stop ticking when about 110 years old, my cardiologist tells me. I am an avid cyclist and I also love hiking/walking and generally keeping fit, so I guess this has helped my cardiovascular health.
The reason I ask about the SS link is because my mother nearly died of Grave's Disease when she was in her mid thirties. I am well aware of the close association between that thyroid disease and Sjogren's as they are both caused by the same rogue anti-body. I am wondering if the heart disease I was born with may have been a foreshadowing of further trouble to come for me. I realize that auto-immune disease is thought to have a mitochondrial association, and this is passed down only via the mother's genetics. I wonder if this whole mess is actually my mother's fault! Any thoughts from anyone about this? Just curious...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
(male)

thus HB User
Re: ss and heart problems?

What is the mitochondrial association? Is that a reference to maternal DNA?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
(female)

surreygal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thus View Post
What is the mitochondrial association? Is that a reference to maternal DNA?
Hi there:
Mitochondrial DNA is material (genetic) inside a cell--so very small material. There are different types of DNA. Mitochondria is known as "the power house of the cell" and is only transmitted to off-spring from the mother.
Cheers! Surreygal

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
(male)

thus HB User

Thanks for enlightening us on a subject that should be delved into. It is a fascinating and complex subject that will take me years to master.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
(female)

Flnative HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreygal View Post
Hi there:
I read an interesting post from last year that unfortunately is closed, so I'll throw out this question and hope for feedback on it.
Does anyone know of a correlation between heart problems and Sjogren's? The reason I ask is that I was born with a ventricular septal defect, which is a fancy way of saying a great big hole between the lower 2 chambers of my heart. These defects sometimes spontaneously heal, but after multiple trips to the ER with a very blue baby, I think my parents convinced the doctors that I could benefit from medical intervention if I wished to reach toddler-hood. At 4 1/2 years of age I underwent open heart surgery, a very maverick procedure in 1967, done by a specially trained team from the Mayo clinic, no less! (Don't I feel special!) Despite being told I had a 75 % chance of dying from the operation, I pulled through strong and stubborn. In fact, my heart is in phenomenal shape, and should stop ticking when about 110 years old, my cardiologist tells me. I am an avid cyclist and I also love hiking/walking and generally keeping fit, so I guess this has helped my cardiovascular health.
The reason I ask about the SS link is because my mother nearly died of Grave's Disease when she was in her mid thirties. I am well aware of the close association between that thyroid disease and Sjogren's as they are both caused by the same rogue anti-body. I am wondering if the heart disease I was born with may have been a foreshadowing of further trouble to come for me. I realize that auto-immune disease is thought to have a mitochondrial association, and this is passed down only via the mother's genetics. I wonder if this whole mess is actually my mother's fault! Any thoughts from anyone about this? Just curious...

Closed Thread