It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

ShellieBelle HB User
positive ANA and antiSSB - no symptoms of Sjogren's

I have an elevated ANA (it has been elevated for at least five years) and recently was found to have a positive anti SSB (2.2). I was being worked up for something else (which was negative) when the positive anti SSB was found. I went to a rheumatologist and he said he is 99.9 percent sure I do not have Sjogren's as I have no symptoms. I was so relieved I forgot to ask why I have a positive anti SSB. He did tell me he does not go by the labs as much as he goes by symptoms. Does anyone know how it is possible to have a positive anti SSB and not have Sjogren's? I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about ten years ago and I know that can explain the ANA but I am puzzled about the anti SSB. This is my first ever post so forgive me if I haven't done it exactly right!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
(female)

kinikki HB User
Re: positive ANA and antiSSB - no symptoms of Sjogren's

Hi, this is my first time on here and I was surprised to see you post. I too have a positive ANA and resently positive SS B, and I do not have the classic symptoms of Sjorgrens. I have had flare ups of something for years but I have never been given a definate diagnosis. From what I have read I can only find two diseases that have a positive SS B - Sjorgrens and Lupus- but I could be mistaken. I am very interested to find out what this could mean, I have tested negative for Lupus but have had flare ups very severe joint problems and illness. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
(female)

ShellieBelle HB User

Kinikki: Did you see a rheumatologist and what did they say? I'm like you; everything I look up indicates Sjogren's or lupus. . . I can't find anything on positive anti SSB without symptoms; I can find negative anti SSB with symptoms though but that is not the case for you and me! Good luck and good health to you too. . .

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

kinikki HB User

Hello ShelliBelle, I have been to a few rheumatologists and have been told two different things...The first is that future bloodwork will be more conclusive and a diagnosis can be made at that time (I read the average time it takes to diagnose Sjorgrens is 7 yrs !!!) or secondly, some people for whatever reason develope SS B antibodies but do not have either disease - although my dr didnt go into detail as to how this could be. I do not have symptoms that are typical for Lupus or Sjorgrens but have flare ups that range in severity from mild to very severe- The worst being in 2006 which caused me to leave my job of 8 yrs and basically ended my marriage. Im sure you know how difficult it is to suffer with an autoimmune disease, unfortunatley, sometimes even the people closest to you cannot understand. Thank you for responding, I hope to hear more from you.
Be well.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

Anniekia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieBelle View Post
I have an elevated ANA (it has been elevated for at least five years) and recently was found to have a positive anti SSB (2.2). I was being worked up for something else (which was negative) when the positive anti SSB was found. I went to a rheumatologist and he said he is 99.9 percent sure I do not have Sjogren's as I have no symptoms. I was so relieved I forgot to ask why I have a positive anti SSB. He did tell me he does not go by the labs as much as he goes by symptoms. Does anyone know how it is possible to have a positive anti SSB and not have Sjogren's? I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about ten years ago and I know that can explain the ANA but I am puzzled about the anti SSB. This is my first ever post so forgive me if I haven't done it exactly right!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
(female)

Anniekia HB User

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and positive antibodies for Sjogren's in 1991 after developing severe dry eyes. It was subsequently determined that I had leaking silicone breast implants which I immediately had removed. My dry eyes improved and I never developed any additional symptoms for Sjogren's...Evidently, the silicone was causing my immune system to attack my body. Do you have any foreign substances implanted in your body? That's where I would look since it appears your body is reacting to something foreign.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Anniekia, I was negative on the ana but have the symptoms of sjogrens and was diagnosed in 1992 with atypical connective tissue disease. I had a ruptured implant. Glad you have no symptoms

Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
(female)

ShellieBelle HB User

Annekia: Thanks for the reply. I do not have any implants of any type in my body. . . still no symptoms of Sjogren's though and am very grateful. I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos and had a partial thyroidectomy because of nodules. So glad you had a positive outcome.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
(female)

Citymouse411 HB User

I have also been reading alot about Sjorgrens, Lupus and RA. I think it may be more accurate to say that you have tested positive for the condition but you don't have any symptoms. I believe that it is possible to develop the disease at some point once you test positive for it. My sister didn't have any symptoms of Sjorgrens at the beginning of her Lupus symptoms. Sjorgrens came about a year into it. The doctor tells her that with connective tissue auto immune disorders that many times Sjorgrens can be "secondary" to a primary auto immune disorder. Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis and other disease like this sometimes take years to fully manifest their symptoms. Dr's make a diagnosis based on how many of the sypmtoms you display so basically you have a predisposition to develop the disease and may or may not depending on environmental , genetic and other factors. This is the way I understand it...

Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
(female)

giamarie12 HB User

I am new here and your post has a familiar ring to my life. Tough is nt it. I was finally diagnosed today. (12/8/2011) I have been called lazy, and my former branch manager called me a loser eight years ago when know one could diagnose me and I was suffering terribly. I could not get a diagnosis for forever and believe I had this disease for a long time. I took care of my baby, my dying mother, a high stress career that demanded 16 hour days on the road. Returned to work after giving birth in 7 business days. I they called me lazy. Between MS and Sjogrens this is absurd that a diagnosis can not be given until you are practically dead. Well, I drove my Rheumatologist crazy until he came up with a positive test on Sjogrens. This is affecting me neurologically and I am exhausted, miserable and feeling guilty that I am on disability. I miss my life, my career and just having interest in life and being able to get out of bed. Tired of pain and strange bleeding symptoms and a million other things. This is a tough disease as it progresses. I have gone through so many tests and mis diagnoses. Finally, I know the demon. Good Luck to you, keep fighting, never give up. There are people who are empathic out here. Some day we will find them.

Closed Thread