It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

kandiceann83 HB User
sjogrens and thyroid problems

I am 26 years old with 3 children. Over the past few years, I have had problems with headaches, dry eyes, sore gums, dry hair and skin, no sexual desire because of pain, rapid heart rate, sweating, stomach aches, overall aches and pains......I'm pretty much a mess.

I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 6 months ago. I take methimazole and propranalol. last week my eye dr. told me that I needed to seriously consider being tested for sjogrens syndrome. He did 2 different dye tests in my eyes and said my eyes were "bone dry"

He added an eye steroid, and then I will be on restasis when that course is finished.

Is it common to have thyroid and sjogrens problems? I currently see an Endo....would this dr. be able to diagnose me definitely with sjogrens? And one more ?....could all of my symptoms be a part of both disorders...is this why I am so miserable, is there any hope?

A true thank you goes out to anybody who responds.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

cyngator09 HB User
Re: sjogrens and thyroid problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandiceann83 View Post
I am 26 years old with 3 children. Over the past few years, I have had problems with headaches, dry eyes, sore gums, dry hair and skin, no sexual desire because of pain, rapid heart rate, sweating, stomach aches, overall aches and pains......I'm pretty much a mess.

I was diagnosed with Graves disease about 6 months ago. I take methimazole and propranalol. last week my eye dr. told me that I needed to seriously consider being tested for sjogrens syndrome. He did 2 different dye tests in my eyes and said my eyes were "bone dry"

He added an eye steroid, and then I will be on restasis when that course is finished.

Is it common to have thyroid and sjogrens problems? I currently see an Endo....would this dr. be able to diagnose me definitely with sjogrens? And one more ?....could all of my symptoms be a part of both disorders...is this why I am so miserable, is there any hope?

A true thank you goes out to anybody who responds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

cyngator09 HB User

I totally feel your pain. I have been running around to see so many differnet Dr.'s but no one seemed to know the answer. Well, I finally have answers. I had the blood test for Sjogren's but it came back negative. I got a biopsy from an ENT Dr. he took a sample from the inside of my lip and bingo, I had sjogren's. Not happy but I fianlly had answers.
My eye Dr just added plugs to my tear ducks to help keep the tears in my eyes. I just got done yesterday so I don't know if it will help. I take pilocarpine 5 mg three times a day to help with my dry mouth. You need to try (key word) try to reduce stress so the sjogren's symptoms don't get worse. I did not know how I got sjogren's but I just got my answer a couple weeks ago when I found out I had thyroid cancer. So yes the thyroid and Sjogren's have every thing to do with each other. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
(female)

kandiceann83 HB User

Wow, it is so good to know that I am not alone. I know this is a more rare disease...but at least i know there is help and options. Good luck to everyone.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

cyngator09 HB User

After a long road that is finally behind me only because I know where to go and who I need to see. So sharing my experience with any one who needs help only makes me happy. You will need to see two diffferent Dr.'s. You will need to see a RA Dr. I went to the Mayo Clinic to see a RA Dr. which has helped me with my Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's. I found out I also had Fibromayalgia when seemed to go with my Sjogren's. I thought I was losing my mind and my life was so out of control. There is hope! I do wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Hi
I have Hashimoto's plus my ENT and eye doctor both say I have sjogren's because of dry eyes and often swollen salivary glands with dry mouth. Antibodies are negative, though on the high side. Have not had biopsy. ANA also comes and goes high. I too have lots of frustrating symptoms. Good days and bad. Just treating symptoms now as thyroid levels are all considered normal except for antibodies. I use eye drops at night and as needed during the day and a moisturizing mouthwash as needed. I have a busy job and sometimes forget to drink, which is not good for lots of reasons. I also seem to suffer from sometimes severe constipation. I use various things for that which sometimes seems to contribute to the dry mouth. Autoimmune diseases are not fun at all, and the worse part is most people do not understand the fatigue that is associated with them. Some days I feel like doing nothing.
Mattieann

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
(female)

srcindy HB User

I was just offically diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome with possible Lupus overlap, and on the way to that diagnosis I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My thyroid levels are also considered normal (4.18 TSH). My endocrinologist told me to watch for the symptoms of Hypothyroidism. I told him I already had almost every symptom. I don't know what symptoms are from the Sjogren's or the Thyroid. My new doctor has me trying Plaquenil. I hope it helps. I fired my old doctor that told me NSAID's were my only option, and I might as well get used to hurting, because it won't change. I am so tired of hearing people say how healthy I look. I feel like crap inside!!
It is nice to hear what other people are going through to know that I am not alone. I take muscle relaxers on my achy days that I feel like crying. That helps a lot. Sorry, I started ramblling.

Closed Thread