It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
(male)

dolby HB User
Sjogren's Syndrome and Gout?

I've been suffering from what I thought were gout attacks for the last 5 years. I thought they were gout and they behaved like gout attacks. I've treated it with Naproxen and the attacks always responded very well to a small dose (187.5mg). So for me, gout (whatever it is) was pretty easy to manage.

Fast forward to 2009. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in 6/2009. I started my low carb diet and my gout attacks increased in frequency. At this time, I tested positive (very high, 8-9) for Antinuclear Antibodies Direct for Sjogren's Syndrome (SS-B), which frequently accompanies rheumatoid arthritis.

I've noticed that, yes, my gout attacks have increased but I seem to be experiencing 2 distinct types of gout: (i) one that responds quickly to NSAID medication (187.5mg) and (ii) another which takes longer to recover and is less acute (less painful), requiring larger Naproxen dosage over a number of days.

I'm also experiencing a very dry mouth; by the morning, my mouth is so dry, I immediately have to get water in me. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to get some water in me. I'm not thirsty, however; just my whole mouth is really dry. No dry eyes yet, however. My whole body is very dry and I have dry, scaly feet and hands which I attributed to out of control diabetes but which I now realize may be symptoms of SS.

I've also been experiencing constipation for about a yera now, which I understand could result from lack of moisture in my colon.

What exactly is the link between gout and SS? Can you have gout and SS? I thought having gout precluded Reumathoid Arthritis. Perhaps I have always had Rheumatoid Arthritis rather than gout?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread