It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Dry eye plugs/ Need advice

Hello All,

I have not been diagnoised with Sjorgren's but have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease and Celiac Disease.

I have terribly dry eyes upon awakening........

My Eye doctor said it is due to my Autoimmune disorders and he recommended I have these plugs put in my tear ducts to conserve eye fluid. I went ahead and tried the temporary ones which are made of Collegen. It really helped immediately. I could tell mostly when they were disolved after 10 days that my eyes were back to terribly dry.

I have come to you on this board because I notice in the brochure that Sjorgrens is listed as having this problem and these plugs are recommended to anyone that has this. So I figured someone on here has tried them.

The permenent ones are plastic and different than the temp collegen ones.

Any insight or advice? Thank you, Oleander

Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: Dry eye plugs/ Need advice

Hi oleander I am glad that you came here for help. The plugs were suggested to me as an option, but I felt nervous about that. I have been struggling beyond belief, until I started using an OINTMENT at night in my eyes. I am now using the refresh ointment.
I was using the systane. My eyes were so bad that I literally could not open them in the morning. It was so very painful as I am sure you know.

Let us know what you decide. I hope someone comes along here that knows more about this (the plugs) than I do or maybe they have had it done. Either way, I do wish you the BEST of luck. I know how uncomfortable and really painful this gets to be.
I was getting really, really upset before the nightime ointment was being used!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

FrostyMagnolia HB User
Re: Dry eye plugs/ Need advice

I have had them for over 5 years and find that they are a huge help. In that time, I have had to have them replaced only once. I recommend you try them. Another suggestion I have is to use Thera Tears Liquid Gel eye drops. OTC and I get them in Walmart. Prescription Restasis did not work well for me. Constant burning when I used it. Hope this helps. Be well and be strong.

Closed Thread