It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Eye Pain question

Hi Everyone,

I believe I have Sjorgrens along with an undiagnosed rhematic condition that my rheumatologist has been monitoring for a few years now. I am on injectable methotrexate and that has helped me in so many ways. I actually got through this winter without feeling like I was 80 due to such bad joint pain.

Over the past month I started getting pain in my left eye. I have had it off and on over the years and always thought it was migraine related. I went to my eye doctor and he said it was because my eye was dry. He performed the Schirmer's test. I also have a high ANA, sed rate, crp, positive anti-ro and anti-la, and a positive rheumatoid factor.

The pain got so bad this past Sunday that I had to avoid light and lay down. I then went to the eye doctor on Monday and he put a plug in my left eye. I ended up having a horrible vasovegal type incident where I almost passed out in his office. I think the light made me real ill. Later that day and yesterday I tried taking my migraine medication but it did not work and I am still in pain and had bouts of nausea today. He gave me drops to lubricate the eye and also drops with some kind of prednisone in them. I will be seeing him again in about two weeks.

Has anyone had this type of problem where you have a stabbing type pain in your eye due to dryness? I noticed that the pain decreases by the evening but is really bad in the morning. Thank you for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Eye Pain question

Hi I don't know if I have sjogren's but definitely have sicca syndrome and some autoimmune disorder. I get stabbing pains in my left eye. I actually lost the vision in that eye for a few minutes, cause still undetermined. Anyway, the dr told me the sharp eye pain can be caused by the dryness. She told me use the restasis (inflammatory) and to use eye drops like Refresh (like a lotion effect) It does make a difference.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Thank you, Mel52!

That does help. I'm going to get that gel type eye drop today to put in before bedtime. In the meantime, I will just keep putting in the drops the eye doctor gave me and extra drops to keep my eyes moist as possible. The plug doesn't seem to be doing much, unfortunately...

Thank you, again!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

ljanea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie10 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I believe I have Sjorgrens along with an undiagnosed rhematic condition that my rheumatologist has been monitoring for a few years now. I am on injectable methotrexate and that has helped me in so many ways. I actually got through this winter without feeling like I was 80 due to such bad joint pain.

Over the past month I started getting pain in my left eye. I have had it off and on over the years and always thought it was migraine related. I went to my eye doctor and he said it was because my eye was dry. He performed the Schirmer's test. I also have a high ANA, sed rate, crp, positive anti-ro and anti-la, and a positive rheumatoid factor.

The pain got so bad this past Sunday that I had to avoid light and lay down. I then went to the eye doctor on Monday and he put a plug in my left eye. I ended up having a horrible vasovegal type incident where I almost passed out in his office. I think the light made me real ill. Later that day and yesterday I tried taking my migraine medication but it did not work and I am still in pain and had bouts of nausea today. He gave me drops to lubricate the eye and also drops with some kind of prednisone in them. I will be seeing him again in about two weeks.

Has anyone had this type of problem where you have a stabbing type pain in your eye due to dryness? I noticed that the pain decreases by the evening but is really bad in the morning. Thank you for your input!
I have had red painful eyes (the whites) for over a year...was put on tobradex drops (steriod) and now am dependent on them, when I try getting off they get more painful and more red.... recently I have had very sharp shooting pains which have left a broken blood vessel in the eye...very very disturbing....the eye specalist has not been much help...has ordered a cat scan to rule out thyroid eye disease (I think I am addicted to the tobradex drops and need to wean off but don't know how to do this since I have so much pain and redder eyes and light sensitive when I do try)....

Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
(female)

maple3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie10 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Old 05-27-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
(female)

maple3 HB User

Please take time to read my response at the top of the page to Danigirl. A cure
is on page 173 of a book called Hospital by Julie Salamon. Please, it's a simple
procedure of a lens for your eyes. I know the book is a true non-fiction because
the hospital that it's about I am very familiar with and there are about twenty
pages about the hospital I worked in for three decades and it's all facts...good
luck. The book is in your library, you def don't have to buy it.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
(male)

bien HB User

I am not an expert. I can only convey my similar problems.

I got red-eye (whites of eye turned red) three years ago this Christmas.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and sjogren's syndrome.

My rheumy tells me that the eye involvement is related and is called anterior uveitis.

Beside the redness, this condition involves transient eye pain that lingers from hours to days.

I'm going through a severe pain in my left eye now, but it seems to be abating after 4 days.

Curable? Fixable?

I'm currently on the infusion drug Orencia after failures with a half-dozen other DMARDS and I'm told it MAY help the uveitis. No promises.

Eye diseases/conditions are many and are best left to the experts. But if you tested positive for HLA-B27, there is a good chance that your pain may be from uveitis.

My best wishes to you, my friend.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
(female)

cbg10 HB User

I have had extreme pain in my eyes or just one eye at a time in the past. So much so that I have just gone to bed rather than fight one more minute of it as by the time it got to that point, drops didn't help that much. I no longer seem to have it as I am doing more of what I am supposed to do for them. I wear goggles to bed after using drops and then the lubricated cream. The doctor thought that I am one of the many that sleeps with my eyes partially open. I tried several goggles but the ones I have now that the association had sent a flyer out on works the best for me. I can turn and these are small and rounded enough that it doesn't wake me up. Good luck ....cbg10

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
(male)

aussie1950 HB User

Hello Angie.
And had to google Vasovagal, had never heard the word before, I learn't something new today. ..{::grin::} ... Thank you!
Anyway the pain you experience with your left eye, sounds horrible?
I have had very dry eyes (and mouth) since soon after R/A came calling over 7 years ago but they are just that, dry with that gritty feeling thrown in.
My Optometrist gets up me every 12 months when I upgrade my glasses from Glaucoma. "Gotta keep blinking Bob!"
If I hardly blink, I hardly blink, I am not going to sit around all day purposely blinking like he expects me to, think he is a bit mad, well most Optometrists are, or so I have always found.
I pour the artificial tears in all day, every day, probably should consider the tear duct operation.
Good luck with getting rid of that pain, never fun no matter where it is.
Cheers,
Bob.

Closed Thread