It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

sandshore HB User
What Works Best to Relieve Dry Mouth?

Hi,

What's your favorite dry mouth remedies?

1. Does anyone use Slippery Elm Bark? (I just saw this at the health food store)? Is it safe or helpful?
2. Someone said they were using RX med called Salagen. This has some side effects, I read, such as "change in vision," precautions for people with asthma.
3. Sugarless Chewing gum with xylitol (Trident cinnamon; Xlichew)
4. Any good tasting sugar free lozenges/candies which work?
5. Does anyone use the lozenge/patch that sits in mouth and their advertisement says will provide relief for an hour or so?
6. Does anyone use the sprays from biotene or other "moisturizers." (hmmm, I always thought moisturizers were for my skin.)

"Sandshore"

Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
(female)

sandshore HB User
Re: What Works Best to Relieve Dry Mouth?

I posted about a very helpful product I received from my dentist at the end of the long thread "Reduced Saliva, Dry Mouth questions. I just want to refer anyone interested in this issue (how to maintain our mouth so we don't lose our teeth) to the end of that thread.

The product is made by Carifree company and is called "oral neutralizing Gel."

Sandshore

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

5smiles HB User

Hello Sandshore - Dry mouth symptoms are a real pain and so far I've not had a lot of relief from over the counter remedies. I do take Evoxac and Plaquenil (like Salagen they can cause eye problems so you'll have to get your eyes tested every 3 months) but still have some symptoms. Good luck and post your results from slippery elm bark - why not try it!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
(male)

bien HB User

I have secondary Sjogren's (from PA) and dry mouth/eyes, too.

I've pretty much tried all of the mouth wetting agents/products/drugs but have just settled on sugarless chewing gum.

I buy it by the case and it works quite well for me during the day, but at night it's a different matter.....

I have learned to sleep with water in my mouth. I know that sounds strange, but it works for me. I have to re-fill my mouth once or twice a night now, but in the beginning a year ago I was re-filling 6-10 times a night and almost gave up.

Prior to the water-in-the-mouth trick, I lost 8 teeth to decay from no saliva. I haven't lost one since I've been chewing gum during the day and holding water in my mouth at night.

Best of luck finding out what works for you!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

sandshore HB User

Hi Bien and Smiles,

My mouth is still dry but has eased up a bit since I wrote the post. Also, I have learned a few things which help me. (I attended a local Sjogren's meeting, listened to a tape on dry mouth from one of their national conferences and have been doing reading/research.)

1. I did not like the taste of Slippery Elm drops--so I threw those out.

2. I also chew a lot of sugarless gum. However, I can't chew anything with Aspartame as I get dizzy from that. I chew Biotene gum. I buy it at Costco as they offer the best price. Biotene gum has Xylitol in it which helps kills the bad bacteria.

3. I recently purchased a Waterpik and use it after every meal. I mix baking soda in it. It's very soothing to use a waterpik if you have dry mouth. (The baking soda probably will shorten the life of the water pik-but baking soda helps to raise the PH of the mouth.
If you can keep the PH of the mouth alkaline (higher) rather than acidic--then dental caries won't have a chance to grow)

4. I use what are called "remineralizing rinses"
Alcohol free Fluoride rinses and also a Calcium Phosphorus Rinse called Calphovess. Calphovess is a bit pricey. It cost 29 dollars for 30 one use packs. (I'm looking into something called MI paste, also recommended by dentist and which I think is equivalent)

5. I also use Biotene dry mouthwash and mix it with baking soda.

6. At night, I found that I needed to use the biotene oral moisturizer gel liberally (that is a large gunk of it). I was not using enough. First wet the mouth, then dab this in my mouth and over my tongue etc. I do this as often as needed. A dentist at a Sjogren's Conferences said we need to keep our mouths moisturized. (I would be a bit afraid, however, to just have water in my mouth, that it might go down the wrong pipe, but I'm glad that works for you, Bien.)

7. At night, I've also used a prescription saliva substitute called Numoisin liquid (not the lozenge). This is mainly linseed oil. It helped when my mouth was very dry. It seems to be only somewhat helpful now, but I'm glad I have it as an option.

8. I've started to use a product (recommended by a dentist who knows sjogren's) called Evora. These are "probiotic mints." They are supposed to add the good bacteria back to our mouths.

9.I use Crest Glide dental floss (in the grey containers). It's the best (very easy to slide). (It's also the best floss to use for your kids). (They sell it at Costco in a bulk pack--so much cheaper than the other floss, too.)

10. I suck on Spry mints with Xylitol.

11. Toothpastes: I use Carifree PH neutralizing Gel. Very soothing (but when mouth is burning or raw it might not be.)
Biotene dry mouth toothpastes and a prescription toothpaste with extra fluoride Prevident 5000 (I think it's called). I vary these depending on what my mouth needs.

Sandshore

Old 05-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
(female)

serenitygirl HB User

Hi there, in answer to your questions, I'm recently diagnosed to and I use salogen for dry mouth it works awesome and fast, within 15min., and I use biotene toothpaste, both work great, I can even sleep through the night now, wow, good luck, gloria

Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

sandshore HB User

Hi Gloria,

I'm glad Salagen works so well for you. I'm a bit afraid of some of the side effects which some people have. It's nice however, to know there is another tool to possibly use.

Sandshore

Last edited by sandshore; 05-03-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
(male)

redsox fan HB User

#6; yes, I use biotene dry mouth spray, I use it almost every hour that I'm in bed. it helps but does not last. sorry
red sox fan

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
(female)

serenitygirl HB User

I use the drug, salogen, works for anywhere from 4 - 6 hours sometimes more sometimes less, my doc says if it is less it is no problem to take an extra one. I usually chew gum, suck a candy, drink water, juice or just perservere till the time is up to take another one, (4x a day) It's been a real God send for sure. No more waking up at night with my cheeks stuck to my teeth and choking cause my throat is dried up so bad and tongue is like a road in the desert. all meds have side effects so that is the least of my worries at this point. try it and see, biotene toothpaste seems to help as well. good luck. serenitygirl

Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
(female)

sandshore HB User

Hi Redsox Fan and Serenity Girl,

I like the Biotene products, also, especially the gel at night.
I still might go to Salagen but not yet. (So far my cheeks aren't stuck to my teeth, but I know what you mean.)

Another product which I like a lot right now is Salese dry mouth lozenges.
They come in lemon and mint. They contain xylitol (which kills bad bacteria) and also they help with maintaining the PH balance in our mouth.

They last about 20 minutes. I get tired of chewing gum--so this is a nice alternative.

Closed Thread