It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
(female)

rosa54 HB User
What is involved in draining parotid gland?

Hi,
was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, about 3 years ago. Decided, after a month, to not continue with medication that was prescribed. Terrible side effects & instilled a lot of fear that I would ruin liver & eyes. Have tried alternative treatments - homeopathy, vitamins, nutrition, energy healing & chinese herbal medicine to name a few.
My energy still fluctuates, sometimes dizziness & nausea, skin problems, dry eyes,dry mouth. Waking up to a swollen parotid gland on the side of my face every morning is getting quite depressing. So I'm asking - Would draining the parotid gland be a good & successful solution, & what is involved- Does it leave a scar? Is it painful? Is it day surgery?etc etc etc.............
Kind regards
Rosa

The following user gives a hug of support to rosa54:
mlang27 (04-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Re: What is involved in draining parotid gland?

i'm not sure anyone would do something as invasive as draining the parotid gland.

Have you tried manual massage and warm compresses?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
(male)

mlang27 HB User
Re: What is involved in draining parotid gland?

Rosa,

My situation is different from yours. I had a swollen parotid gland but due to hiv. Mine was drained because my doctor was trying to diagnose the reason at the time. I was sent to a Radiologist who numbed the area inserted a small needle, drained as much fluid as he could and then checked for cancer. It does not leave a scar, was done outpatient and the only part that hurt was the pressure I felt as he was extracting the fluid. Because your syndrome is quite different from mine I cannot say that it would work but your words touched me and I COMPLETELY understand the social stigma of the lump. My thoughts and prayers go with you and I know that you will find a resolution!!!!

Closed Thread