It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

Danigirl22 HB User
Foods that help dry mouth?

I have trouble swallowing because my mouth and throat are very dry. I'm trying to eat soft, moist foods and it should be easy to come up with some, but it seems so limiting.

I'm eating baby carrots, which surprisingly make my mouth feel less dry because of the juices and water they are in inside the bag. I need water close by since the carrot itself doesn't go down easily. The moistness doesn't last, unfortunately. I'm hoping that chewing carrots is good for my teeth like apples are. Apple sauce is the best thing I've eaten since being diagnosed with Sjogren's. Soup would be good, but most soups contain msg and I can't have that.

I want to come up with a list of foods that are easy to swallow. Any suggestions? Pudding and ice cream are easy ones, but not healthy.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Foods that help dry mouth?

I can't help you with a list of foods, but just wanted to offer that there are mouth rinses that are specifically for those with dry mouth. One is called Biotene. The other is called
Oasis. You can find them at your local pharmacy.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

Danigirl22 HB User

Thank you!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

The Biotine helped me a LOT. Also keep away from salty foods. Those seemed to dry out my mouth something terrible and oh would my mouth burn. Also a humidifier will help you a lot. I find believe it or not when the weather is humid my eyes and mouth are MUCH better, although I don't feel good in that weather and I need my ac.
Darn, we seemed damned if we do and damned if we don't sometimes.

Let us know how you make out. I know how awful this can be and I am sorry you are suffering.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

Danigirl22 HB User

How often do you use Biotene mouthwash during the day?

I've been meaning to buy a humidifier. That's something I want to try for sure.

I'm taking Evoxac and it helps a little, but my mouth is still dry. I still need cough drops. Chewing gum helps for a longer amount of time, but chewing it too long gives me a headache.

Closed Thread