It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

pamelan HB User
New diagnosis - my work is not supportive

My tests shows a 1:320 Speckled with a positive ana screen. I have been feeling unwell for what seems like forever. I have been diagnoised with fibro and sjogrens' syndrome.

In the last seven months I have been diagnoised and treated for hypothyroid, deficient in potassium and vit d, pancrititus, shingles and chronic kidney stones (have been getting 3-5 stones a year for over twenty years now), arthritis in my spine and tongue ulcerations. My teeth have been breaking like crazy. I also have depression - have been treated for that since 2003 - and three buldging discs from a car accident several years ago.

For at the past five years - until February of this year - when the thyroid, vit d and potassium began to be treated, it was all I could do to stay awake and make it through a day of work. I would litterally drag my self in, be attacked for hours, go home, be in bed by 5 p.m. and get up the next day and do it again.

My job involves constant physical contact with violent students. I am required to do restraints/holds on students who are in danger of hurting themselves or others. On any given day I could be doing holds to thrashing, kicking, pinching, biting, punching, slapping, headbutting students for hours.

All of the physical stress has taken a toll on my body to the point my doctors have restricted me from any physical contact at work. My primary doctor had me take a week off of work to get better. My RA has me going to PT 2x's a week - water therapy because my body is not ready for regular PT. The optimologist has me putting lubricating drops in my eyes three times a day.

This physical stress has triggered the fibro and SS - but my work refused to let me fill out a worker's comp form, saying I had a preexisting condition. They have not given me FMLA - but did put me on personal leave. I am so stressed - my medical runs out the end of this month.

Anybody - please guide me - what can I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

Nathalie26 HB User
Re: New diagnosis - my work is not supportive

Sorry about all your problems. I use to work in a place similar to yours. I broke my ankle a couple years ago and was put on medical leave. It sucked cause I still wasn't getting paid, but without my job's income, I qualified for medicaid during my time off. You should look in to see if you qualify. I also had my doctor give me some restrictions on how much I can lift, when I got back to work. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread