It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
(female)

lulu2008 HB User
Cheek pain upon first bite/drink?

I have been noticing recently that upon the first bite of food (whether it is a piece of fruit, a cracker, yogurt, etc.) and also sometimes the first sip of a drink my cheeks get this terrible pain that lasts a few seconds and then is gone. I know it sounds weird, but I can only describe it as the center of my cheeks and it almost feels like how it would feel if you sucked a super sour candy or lemon, only it happens with anything. After the first bite, it doesn't usually happen again, although sometimes it does last a few bites in extra flavorful/seasoned things. I don't know for sure if I even have Sjogrens but my doctor mentioned it a few times based on symptoms and the fact that I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypo/hyper thyroid.) My symptoms are a rash of severe cavities leading to root canals (6!!) all in a row after never before needing a root canal in my life. After my first child was born my teeth went south even though my dental hygeine is the same or better. My mouth is so dry that I cannot eat dry things like most cereals, rice, cous cous, salad unless there is a lot of dressing, sandwiches unless I have a lot of mustard/italian dressing on it, and I cannot eat raw carrots, apples, etc. unless I dip them in something. I have an enlarged salivary gland under my jawline on the left side that has been enlarged for two years. I also have very dry eyes, it feels like I have something in my eyes all the time and they are so sensitive to light that they tear up and water often. My nose/sinuses are also very dry and I use saline drops twice a day. My skin is dry and itchy despite using creams often and my hands and feet often crack. I am also very fatigued during the day and especially if I am in the heat. Do these sound like Sjogren's symptoms and if so, is there anything I can do to allievate them or at least get a concrete diagnosis? I have had an ANA, Sed rate, CRP and CBC and all were normal. My only abnormal labs have been consistently my free T3, free T4, TSH, cortisol (high), acth (high), and thryoid antibodies and thyroglobulin (both high.) No one seems to know why my cortisol and acth are high, but my thyroid is being treated w/ Synthroid. I am also having a hard time gaining and maintaining my weight, I am very underweight for my height. Thank you for any help/advice!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

lulu2008 HB User
Re: Cheek pain upon first bite/drink?

Anyone else have these symptoms? Should I ask for a specific test to be done to rule out Sjogren's?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

beaglesews HB User

I have had many of these symptoms. If you do a search under my username, you will see my posts on swollen salivary glands. I was diagnosed last summer with Hashimoto's. I take Synthroid 88mcg. 1x/day. I have had the ANA & sed rate tests & everything comes back normal. The rheumotologist has told me the only sure way to dx Sjogrens is a lip bioposy. I'm too scared to have one, as I've heard/read they are painful I have very dry eyes & drink ALL the time. As far as teeth, I've had the normal fillings when I was a child. However, approx. 6 yrs. ago, I needed a root canal/crown on a tooth that I didn't feel any symptoms from. Last week, my molar on the other side (lower) cracked in 1/2!! I have been to the dentist & he said no root canal this time but I do need the crown....ugh! I take excellent care of my teeth. On the weight issues, unfortuneately, I am on the other end & KEEP gaining!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

Need a break HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu2008 View Post
I have been noticing recently that upon the first bite of food (whether it is a piece of fruit, a cracker, yogurt, etc.) and also sometimes the first sip of a drink my cheeks get this terrible pain that lasts a few seconds and then is gone. I know it sounds weird, but I can only describe it as the center of my cheeks and it almost feels like how it would feel if you sucked a super sour candy or lemon, only it happens with anything. After the first bite, it doesn't usually happen again, although sometimes it does last a few bites in extra flavorful/seasoned things. I don't know for sure if I even have Sjogrens but my doctor mentioned it a few times based on symptoms and the fact that I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypo/hyper thyroid.) My symptoms are a rash of severe cavities leading to root canals (6!!) all in a row after never before needing a root canal in my life. After my first child was born my teeth went south even though my dental hygeine is the same or better. My mouth is so dry that I cannot eat dry things like most cereals, rice, cous cous, salad unless there is a lot of dressing, sandwiches unless I have a lot of mustard/italian dressing on it, and I cannot eat raw carrots, apples, etc. unless I dip them in something. I have an enlarged salivary gland under my jawline on the left side that has been enlarged for two years. I also have very dry eyes, it feels like I have something in my eyes all the time and they are so sensitive to light that they tear up and water often. My nose/sinuses are also very dry and I use saline drops twice a day. My skin is dry and itchy despite using creams often and my hands and feet often crack. I am also very fatigued during the day and especially if I am in the heat. Do these sound like Sjogren's symptoms and if so, is there anything I can do to allievate them or at least get a concrete diagnosis? I have had an ANA, Sed rate, CRP and CBC and all were normal. My only abnormal labs have been consistently my free T3, free T4, TSH, cortisol (high), acth (high), and thryoid antibodies and thyroglobulin (both high.) No one seems to know why my cortisol and acth are high, but my thyroid is being treated w/ Synthroid. I am also having a hard time gaining and maintaining my weight, I am very underweight for my height. Thank you for any help/advice!!
OMG it sounds like me!!!This happened to me for months and I would say you definetely have sjogrens thats what they diagnosed me with and its PAINFUL and hard to explain.All the dryness comes from sjogrens as well.I have that too.I am not sure how to go on and chat with you how do I do this??

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

Komiko HB User

I too experience pain upon first bite/drink. The pain can be excruciating. It is very difficult to try to explain. Have you gotten a diagnosis? I have negative blood work for sjogrens, ANA & RA factor. My doc thinks it's TMJ, I've had TMJ problems long time ago this is totally different kind of pain, only when I salivate.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

cbg10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need a break View Post
OMG it sounds like me!!!This happened to me for months and I would say you definetely have sjogrens thats what they diagnosed me with and its PAINFUL and hard to explain.All the dryness comes from sjogrens as well.I have that too.I am not sure how to go on and chat with you how do I do this??

Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

cbg10 HB User

I have many of the symptoms that you all have except for the decay. I spend a geat deal of time with cleaning my mouth. I am a retired dental assistant of 30 years. I have the gland things going on. TMJ problems that I have to watch out for in case I sleep on my side, etc. Very dry mouth tissues and lips that crack and break. Mouth tissues very sensitive to different tastes, etc. More pain when something hurts. Unless one has this disease they can't possibly know how much greater the pain is with dry tissues. My dentist doesn't hear that and I am not O.K. with it. That is why this site is so GREAT as we all understand what the others are saying and going through. How cool we have this site. Hang in there guys !!

Reply Reply