It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
(male)

sparkle16 HB User
Hydroxychlorquine

Hi everyone , i have just been prescribed hydroxychloroquine by my rheumatologist and i am a little concerned about the side effects, and was wondering if anyone is on it ,and how you are getting on with it, are the side effects as bad as some people make out? my dr says it will help my joint pain, dry eyes , tiredness and dry mouth, i havn't started taking it yet, only got it today, might start taking it at the weekend when i'm not at work just in case it makes me bad, maybe i worry too much, it's just that the things i have read have put me off, look forward to your comments.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

Babs659 HB User
Smile Re: Hydroxychlorquine

I have no side effects whatsoever, as long as I take it with food. I've been on it a year and a half. You should be fine. I will say this---you MUST allow several months before you decide it's not working. It took about 9 months for me.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Hydroxychlorquine

I have been on it for over three years now. It is commonly prescribed for those with Lupus, but have seen used in other immune system disorders. Sjogren's is commonly seen in conjunction with other immune disorders. I do know that Sjogren's, Lupus and Fibromyalgia are commonly seen together in patients. Lucky me, I have all three. I know that it does take time to kick in with benefits of pain reduction, so I would give it time. It is advisable to have a thorough eye exam as it can affect the eyes in a few people. I have had exams since I have been on the med and have seen no problems. I think the probability of eye damage is extremely low. Do not be alarmed if the doctor should increase the dosage after a period of time. I am on the maximum dose for my weight You may want to look at the Lupus board as there are quite a few on there that are on Plaquenil, which is the brand name for the med you asked about.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
(male)

sparkle16 HB User

hello and thanks for your reply, i am on one tablet per day , only been on it for two days, hope i get on ok with it and do not get any side effects, as i have read how good it is and it helps many people, i think the main thing i'm worried about is that it can give you blurred vision , and if that happens i will really start to panic, but lets hope i'm ok, thanks again for your help.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

TexasDawn HB User

I have been on Plaquenil for some time now and I really haven't experienced any side effects. As for the dry eyes, mouth, nose, etc., ask your rheumy about Evoxac. I cal them my "spit pills". They help a lot with the dryness, even dry skin. You have to have a field of vision test every year because it can cause vision problems, but again, I have not experienced any. I was told by my rheumy AND my eye doctor to be sure and take both every day. Sjogren's is a nasty disease that can cause some serious issues. Good luck!

Closed Thread