It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

IHPA HB User
Could this be Sjogrens?

Hi there, I have a teenage daughter with a dry mouth. She drinks almost constantly, sipping away at a bottle of water, and getting through 3-4 bottles a day, and still feeling dry. It has got progressively worse over the last few years. Diabetes has been ruled out.

From time to time, say once every couple of months, she will have a day or two of suddenly feeling tired, have a flushed face, and she will have what sounds like a loud, dry cough coming from her lungs ( rather than a cough from her throat). We thought it was acid reflux, and it may be. Not sure.

She has finally got really fed up with it, especially the amount she is drinking, and has gone to the doctor. He is running diabetes tests, but has mostly ruled it out from a thumb ***** test. He thinks the drinking is psychological but admits he can't explain the physically dry looking mouth.

I have two autoimmune diseases ( Hashimotos and Psoriatic Arthritis), so I am a little sensitive to any illness in my kids that looks like it might be in the same vein. So you are welcome to tell me that it is unlikely to be Sjogrens. I'm fine with that!

But if any of this sounds like your experience with Sjogrens, please let me know. I have managed to get the GP to take more blood and test for ANAs ( and hopefully CRP and ESR). He wasn't too keen.

She doesn't have dry eyes but does complain of itchy eyes from time to time.

Thanks in advance!
Lesley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Could this be Sjogrens?

IHPA: Has she had any allergy tests done? What about asthma and bronchitis tests.
Maybe she needs to see an ear, nose and throat doctor and get an MRI of the area done. It's strange to say this but in our local news here the other day there was an elderly man who wasn't feeling well and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him until they x-rayed his chest and determined that he had swallowed a pea and it started to germinate!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's a true story!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

Gerty HB User
Re: Could this be Sjogrens?

I have Sjogren's for almost 2 years I also have lupus fibromyalgia. I think the term dry is not a good description as spoken about by the medical people out there. For me and it can be diff for every body. I have a very dry mouth but I do have saliva but its very bad saliva what I do have and very small amounts of it is very thick gooey slimmy I know this is not very lady like ask your daughter can she spit if so how much can she spit with out any water also cheek to see if she can spit does the spit come out like it would normally or come's out long and stringy like it just hangs from her mouth I know this sounds horrible but this is how it is for me. If she has no saliva at all or its like mine I would push for a sjogren's test to be done your dr may not be thinking sjogren's because of her age. Good luck with this

Closed Thread