It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

Bryansmom HB User
Question Schirmer's test...anyone else have this?

Hi everyone. I was dx'd with Sjogren's about 6 months ago. Went to the eye dr. and he performed the Schirmer's test on me. 3 mm was as much as I could do in 5 minutes. Anyone else have this test done?

My question is this: my eyes feel dry and gritty, burn sometimes, and are increasingly sensitive to light. Should I be diligent about treating the dry eye symptoms, not just for comfort's sake, but to keep my corneas from getting scratched or damaged?

Any information would be helpful! Thanks in advance

Bryansmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
(female)

latacharita HB User
Re: Schirmer's test...anyone else have this?

I had this test done 2 years ago, with a result of a 1 in the right eye and a 2 in the left eye. I tried the prescription cyclosporine eye drops but could never get used to them. They burn a lot and caused more discomfort than good, at least in my opinion. I use over the counter eye drops--the "Refresh Liquigel Extra Strength Gel Drops" by Allergan. I keep bottles all over the house, in every room, in the car, in my pockets, in my purse, and in the bed. I have them always within reach. At night I put in Refresh PM night ointment before I go to sleep. I wake up once or twice at night and put the gel drops in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Re: Schirmer's test...anyone else have this?

Hi Bryansmom,

It is definitely a good idea to treat the dry eye symptoms now. I have been on Restasis for almost a year and it has made a tremendous difference. I do not have to use the additional drops most of the time. However, when it is bad I use GenTeal - Moderate to Severe and also TheraTears to help. It is important to get ahead of it so that you don't suffer from Corneal abbrasions.

I was in the ER a few months ago and due to Benadryl and the dryness of the ER I had a severe dry eye reaction. I stupidly had no drops with me and it felt like I had shards of glass in my eyes. When I got home I had to peel my eyes back because they were so dry and the light hurt. I had to keep putting drops in my eyes ever 60 to 90 minutes. After a few days my eyes went back to their normal dry selves.

You might ask your dr. about the Restasis. For me it burns for a few minutes but goes away. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish that burning from the dry eye burning, too. However, it really helped. Just took a few months to kick in. I'm also on Methotrexate which helps with debilitating joint pain, etc.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Hugs,

Angie

Closed Thread