It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
(male)

sparkle16 HB User
coping with work

Hi everyone, i was wondering how all you people out there cope with your jobs with sjogrens .i have it and i am finding it very difficult to do my job. as i have osteoarthritis in my neck and knees , and feel so very tired all the time, my employers are helping me a little by giving my a sitting down job ( production operative by the way) but this doesn't help much as a i continuously have to bend my head down to to the job, therefore gives pain in the neck, because of this i have to take pain killers all the time, my employers have asked me to see the company doctor, which i am more than willing to do, they have also asked me if i would consider going part time , but as much as i would love to , i just can't afford to . i am a 53 yr old female. also have to get up at 4.45 each morning and don't get home again until 6.15 pm, finding this too much for me now and don't know what to do . any advise please especially on what to say to the company doctor as i seem to get nowhere with my own . look forward to any response.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
(female)

Bryansmom HB User
Re: coping with work

Hey sparkle;
Sorry to hear about your job situation. I am a 40 year old high school teacher just diagnosed with sjogren's 6 months ago, secondary to systemic lupus. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck with pressure on my spinal cord which causes a lot of pain. Needless to say, like you, i'm tired and in pain a lot of the time. I take a steady diet of pain killers and just this year decided to go part time, partly because all I did was sleep when I would get home from a full day at work. I had no time for my family or for anything else. But I had that luxury to be able to decrease my hours this year. I can't imagine what things would be like if I wouldn't have done that. I know it's a long process and I don't even know what benefits are out there, but have you thought about applying for disability? I don't even know what's involved. It's just hard to think of suffering through day after day of getting up so early and not getting in until so late.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
(male)

sparkle16 HB User

Hi Byansmom , thanks for your reply, well i have thought about applying for disability, but having spoken to my rheumatologist on a recent visit , i was told that you will not be able to claim with sjogrens so don't bother to even try, as it will be a waste of time, and that i will just have to put up with the symptoms ( so helpful !!!) what is the point of going to see these people ? but the osteoathritis might be different not sure , so sorry to hear about your problems , and hope you are ok , take care xx

The following user gives a hug of support to sparkle16:
Angie10 (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Hi Sparkle16,

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. You might still try to contact a disibility organization in England that can assist you with seeing if you are eligible for a claim. You have a terribly long work day. I get up at 5:00 a.m. and don't get home until 6:30 p.m. so I do understand! Also, I sit at a desk all day and have been able to receive ergonomic aids to help with the arthritic pain but still have chronic pain. My neck is slightly improved by having my monitors up high. However, I spend most weekends resting because I'm so worn out by Friday afternoon.

Do you have an organization in England that could assist with a possible career change? I could not work standing up all day so having a desk job helps. Also, be careful about the work physician. Check with the doctor treating your Sjogren's first to see if this is such a good idea. Is documentation that you have a chronic illness enough for them? I'm just unsure of the rights you have in England for disability vs. here in the US.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs,

Angie

Closed Thread