It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

Komiko HB User
Severe pain upon first bite

For the last few months on occasion I have been experiencing severe pain in my jaw/face/cheek area. This usually happens with my first bite of food or drink (it really doesn't matter if it's sour or not) This initially happened several months ago when eating a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. The jelly hit a spot inside my mouth on the right side and the pain started. It was excruciating, brought tears to my eyes. Since then on occasion it reoccurs, not only on the right but also the left. I can feel what seems like a fullness on the sides of my face, not that you can see, but I sense it. I had a severe issue yesterday. I went to have some yogurt, the moment it entered my mouth I was in severe pain on the left side, I had to stamp my foot, it made me cry. Every spoonful was the same. Eventually the pain was somewhat bearable and I finished. Later on that day I went to eat a turkey & swiss sandwich. I took the first bite, didn't even get a chance to chew it, the pain was so intense I had to spit it out. The pain lasted about 20 seconds or so. After 15 min. I tried again, little bites, the pain was not there and I was able to eat. Today I feel like the right side is on the verge it happening. A fullness feeling. My history..Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, recent lobectomy, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, Essential Thrombocythemia. Just got blood work back and negative for Sjogrens, ANA, RA factor...Can anyone help? My doc thinks it's TMJ, I don't think so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Severe pain upon first bite

Hi What makes you think that it is not?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

Komiko HB User

I don't think it is TMJ because the pain happens when I salivate. I had a sip of merlot wine and both sides of my mouth started to hurt and it felt like the pain was starting to build up. I can drink water, coffee etc and no pain. The pain does not happen when I am chewing, it is when something is introduced into my mouth. I tried a sour candy yesterday and I could feel the right side again a fullness feeling, mild pain. I think it is my parotid glands, maybe stones?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there! I am not saying what is to be done I am only saying what I would be trying for myself if I was reasonably sure there was a stone there. I would only do these to tolerance. If something seems to make it much worse I might leave it alone for a while before trying again to see if the same thing happens. A doctor might be able to gently express the stone if it is near the duct, particularly if done after some of the things to follow.
I would keep in mind that some kidney stones are sharp and crystalline and it in theory at least may apply to the parotid gland also. If the stones crystals have not become dissolved enough…we could speculate that the crystals might do a bit of poking delicate tissue on the way out. I did read a case of one who worked it out after several weeks of some of the things below.
On the outside of the body I might use Saint John’s Wort oil around the cheek, and jaw area and neck area. I might try it at room temperature first then a bit cool if that doesn’t feel so good I would set it in a warm area of the house and try that. (I would not heat it on a stove to prevent damage to the herbal properties).
I would avoid sugar like the plague because if there is an inflamed infected area around the stone sweets would feed pathogens. This would include jelly and sweet yogurt. Yogurt and milk products might add to a calcium oxalate stone. Also bacteria in yogurt seemed to add to someone else’s bacterial infection problem in a different body location by adding more bacteria (unsure). Other things I would avoid include wine, processed, refined foods and those foods that contain oxalic acid.
Is there a fever? Are there any other diagnosis or symptoms?
Is there interest in more information in things a person might avoid eat or use to try to dissolve it?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

Komiko HB User

Thank you for your reply and information. For the last few days now I have had no problems. This condition comes and goes. I have no parotid swelling when it happens, no fever, just the pain. My diet is pretty good and I avoid processed refined foods, the wine was a small glass at a holiday party. I usually eat more organic, fresh foods. I am open to all suggestions.

Last edited by Komiko; 12-17-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there! I would keep a careful food log for a while and put symptoms with it in a columnar chart form. Some of the foods I might temporarily eliminate would be, amaranth, spinach, star fruit, chives, chard, sorrel, lime peel, poppy seed, beets and beet greens, rhubarb, cassava, vitamin supplements containing minerals, lambs quarters,) and vinegar (if it can make a hole in a steel bowl it may make a hole in the stomach) I suppose if a person felt vinegar must be used it might be as a mouth rinse for a short time and then rinse the mouth out with water after spitting it out. Keep in mind that it may irritate mouth tissue and not be all that good for teeth. It might hurt to do that anyway so I am not sure I would try it except as a last resort before a surgical removal of the stone.

Things I might permanently eliminate might be sour dock, cocoa, chocolate, ground white or black pepper, meat, purslane, black tea .

I would chew fresh plantain (plantago major) or use plantain tea collected from places that are not near the road or lawn where gasoline mowers have gone over it. I also might try chickweed (Stellaria media), burdock (Arcticum lappa), blood sugars may lower with burdock, red clover (Trifolium pratense), and Echinacea purpurea.

Since lemon is something that has been apparently known to help dissolve some of the smaller kidney stones I would dilute lemon in a large amount of water to make it more tolerable to the painful parotid gland. I would maybe add 1 lemon to either 2 quarts water or herbal teas that have been made and cooled down and drink it through the day.
Turmeric is known to be an anti-inflammatory.
Have a nice day!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi how are the glands doing?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
(female)

Komiko HB User

Thanks for checking with me...I have had no problems since I last posted, keeping my fingers crossed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Komiko For This Useful Post:
sjb (01-17-2011)
Old 01-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Thanks for the reply are any or all of those measures discussed being used? :smile:

Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
(male)

stainchaser HB User

I too have had similar symptoms ie. excruciating pain on right side of face after taking the first bite or drink. Doesnt matter what it is. Sometimes looking at food or smelling food will have the same effect. after about 10 seconds the pain is gone and I can continue to eat without any problems what so ever. This has been going on over a month now and the pain has changed over the course of this time. It began as a "muscle cramp" feeling in my cheek below and just in front of my ear. It would hurt then go away. Today it feels more like a stabbing feeling in my cheek. Hurts sometimes more than once while eating and has also just hurt when not eating. It sends the pain into my ear and sometimes up behind my eye. all very briefly but this has to stop. One dentist says "TMJ" another says no way. ENT says no stone present maybe some scar tissue and wants to probe the duct to try and widen but doesnt sound promising. Only thing I can find on internet is people that have this issue after a surgery for cancer, radiation and such. I found one refernece that stated there is one account of someone having this before any surgery but no more have been documented. I AM OUT HERE and need help. Any reply is welcome!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
(female)

Komiko HB User

I still experience pain, on both sides on occasion. My Dr. says its TMJ. It doesn't seem to happen only on salivation, i doubt it is any kind of gland. I too feel something like a muscle cramp in the massater muscle before it gets set off. Opening my mouth, eating, drinking will cause the pain, which is pretty severe but only for a few seconds. I'm tending to agree with my Dr. that it is some kind of muscle spasm that affects the nerve causing the severe pain. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #12
(male)

stainchaser HB User

Komiko - sounds like you and I are experiencing something totally different. Mine is triggered only by eating the first bite of food. My dentist has evaluated me for TMJ and did a test on me that he says would have made me scream if it were truly TMJ. So, I continue to hurt and find no one that is experiencing the same problem as me. Good luck with your search for relief!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
(female)

RAQQ HB User

Hi although very new to all this I have had exactly the same. My rheumatologist states the pain is down to the parotid glands being inflamed or infected. I have had several bouts of this and each time they put me on antibiotics. I have this now. They want to put me on (Hydrochloxychloroquine) not sure if I have spelt this right, an anti maleria tablet to supress the immune system from attacking the glands and to try and reduce the inflamation. They believe this in turn will reduce the pain as you describe its shocking. I hope this is of some help to you.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

HI komiko how are you doing? Is everything still better and are you still doing anything we talked about previously?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
(male)

stainchaser HB User

Hi RAQQ - I have had this pain on first bite going on three months and it shows no signs of letting up. I am waiting to schedule the ENT to probe the parotid gland and see if there are micro stones that did not show up on the CT scan or if there is some kind of scar tissue. Interested in knowing if the anti maleria tabs help. Nothing seems to help mine. Good thing is it only hurts after the first bite then goes away. Saw a neurologist this week to explore the possibility of it being trigeminal neuralgia but it was not! Keep in touch and I will post after the surgery!

Reply Reply