It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

Jesse88 HB User
Does Sjogren's Make Your Eyes Look Different?

I've never seen this topic before so I'm wondering if I'm blaming Sjogren's for something that it's not responsible for. For the last couple of years I've noticed that my eyes are smaller than they used to be. My husband even commented on it. It always looks like I've eaten a salty meal the night before, making my eyes a little swollen and slightly more closed looking. I also have a glassy look to my eyes, and I'm pretty sure that's the Sjogren's, but the smaller eyes.....I just don't know. Anyone else experience this? If so, is there anything I can do to open up my eyes to their normal size? I already take medication, so I was wondering if there was some other non-medical trick I could use. Thanks for any help you can offer. I hate my squinty eyes!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Does Sjogren's Make Your Eyes Look Different?

You might want to talk to your eye doc the next time you go in. I have a similar problem and it's because I developed anterior uveitis in both eyes. I have both RA and Sjogrens and RA can cause the collagen of the eyeball to become inflamed and actually change the shape of the eye. When it first started doing this, I just noticed my eyes looking smaller but as it got worse, my vision changed too....it "rolls" like I see some things close and then far away and as if it's on a roller coming towards and then away from me.

Supposedly, anterior uveitis hurts but I've never had any pain with it so it took a while to figure out.

So please mention it to your eye doc.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

Jesse88 HB User

Jenny, thank you for this excellent information. I'm not familiar with that condition but I will certainly ask my eye doctor about it. I really appreciate your post.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

syrob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse88 View Post
I've never seen this topic before so I'm wondering if I'm blaming Sjogren's for something that it's not responsible for. For the last couple of years I've noticed that my eyes are smaller than they used to be. My husband even commented on it. It always looks like I've eaten a salty meal the night before, making my eyes a little swollen and slightly more closed looking. I also have a glassy look to my eyes, and I'm pretty sure that's the Sjogren's, but the smaller eyes.....I just don't know. Anyone else experience this? If so, is there anything I can do to open up my eyes to their normal size? I already take medication, so I was wondering if there was some other non-medical trick I could use. Thanks for any help you can offer. I hate my squinty eyes!
Jesse
I also have a problem with my eyes always looking as if I just woke up, puffy and sometimes a little red. Turns out I have Blepharitis, a common problem with Sjogren's patients. I was at my regular check-up when my ophthalmologist told me I had it, he prescribed an ointment and twice daily washing of my eyelids with a cloth and baby shampoo. You might want to have your doc check you for this. I’m a little less puffy now and the redness is gone.
Good luck,
Robin

Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

Jesse88 HB User

Hi Robin, thanks for your post. I see an eye doctor every six months because I take Plaquenil and my eyes must be tested and examined regularly. He's never mentioned anything looking "off" but I'm going to tell him about this problem and see if he can offer any advice, which of course I'll pass on here.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

mecatee HB User

Oh yes, my eyes have gotten smaller.....or they look it anyhow! They are always glassy looking too. I can not wear eye shadows because my lids sometimes crack and swell. Once in a great while I may use mascara but not too often anymore. It seems like Sjogrens has robbed me of my femininitity at times.............hate it!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

Jesse88 HB User

Yes, that glassy look bothers me too. It always makes me look a little sick, like I'm in a flare or something, even if I'm not. And it makes me feel old too, to see that my eyes are not clear or large anymore. <sigh>

Closed Thread