It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

syrob HB User
Question Anyone else had GI upset with NSAIDs but, has been able to tolerate Plaquenil?

Hi everyone,
I have often visited this message board to read the posts but I had never registered, until today. The posts I have read have helped me to know what others with the same condition were going through. I appreciate everyone sharing their stories. I have been diagnosed with Primary Sjogren’s Syndrome, after ruling out Lupus. I have joint pain, fatigue, and the typical dryness; along with many other symptoms. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I recently changed Rheumatologist after many years with a Rheumy whom I just loved but who was not covered by my insurance I finally got a Kaiser Rheumy, he came highly recommended. He would like me to try Plaquenil, which is what brought me back to this message board. As usual I have found some who have had success and some with not such good results. I have decided to give it a shot, I have once again had GI upset with the latest NSAID, I have run out of options and Plaquenil seems like the lesser of two evils. His other suggestion was Methotrexate, I’m not ready to go there. My biggest worry is that all the common side effects are what I usually have trouble with on NSAIDs. Anyone else had GI upset with NSAIDs but, has been able to tolerate Plaquenil?
Thanks,
Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Re: Anyone else had GI upset with NSAIDs but, has been able to tolerate Plaquenil?

Hi Robin,

The first medication I tried was plaquenil in the generic form and had to switch to the name-brand due to intense itching and rashes. Eventually, I had the same reaction with the name-brand. It also was not working anymore because the flares and pain had become so great. I had to add prednisone to get through the winter. However, so many people tolerate the plaquenil with little or no side effects.

I have been on injectable methotrexate for over a year now and have noticed a tremendous improvement. My flares have been reduced dramatically and the only real side effect is fatigue (which I already had) and some nausea on the day of the injection.

I also have Fibromyalgia and take Celexa and Neurontin to aid with those pain symptoms. I use Restasis for my dry eyes and sleep with a humidifier at night to help with dry mouth and nasal passages.

Please bear in mind that it takes around 4 months to see the positive effects of the plaquenil, but once it kicks in you feel so much better. Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

syrob HB User
Re: Anyone else had GI upset with NSAIDs but, has been able to tolerate Plaquenil?

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the advice.

I also have fibro; I had a lot of anger issues on any of the anti-depressants I took. My doc at the time said I probably should not try any of the others. Also, I have tried Lyrica, without success.

Have you heard of taking Folic Acid for the nausea associated with methotrexate? I wonder if Folic Acid works to combat nausea with other meds.

I took my first 200 mg of the generic plaquenil this morning and no nausea. I always have itchy skin, so I hope I won’t have to deal with that side effect. Although I have heard that an antihistamine can calm the itch.

I found a wonderful natural substance that has helped with my fatigue: D-ribose. It is not a miracle but I now can stay awake after dinner till about 10pm. I used to get home from work at 5:30 fix dinner and go to bed. Now I feel I don’t need 10-11 hours sleep, a solid 8 does the job. I take 1 scoop (5 grams) in the morning in my coffee and then another scoop at lunch in my juice. If I take it late afternoon I have trouble falling to sleep. But 3 scoops a day are recommended. I first bought the Corvalen brand which is the one that was recommended to me but have since purchased a generic which seems as good, and much cheaper.

I can’t wait to feel better. It’s been far too long since I felt good. Thanks again.

Robin

Closed Thread