It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User
No Dry Mouth?

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of being diagnosed with Sjogren's (being treated for it but tests are not back yet) and I find it odd that I don't have a very dry mouth. My tongue and roof of my mouth get dry pretty quickly, but the rest takes much longer (I drink about every 15-20 minutes so it takes longer than that to get the sides dry). If I don't eat or drink for about an hour (not talking) then its all dry, if I am talking it is much quicker. Is it normal to have Sjogren's without a really dry mouth? My lips would be very dry and cracked too if I didn't put aquaphor on them several times a day. My throat also feels dry quickly.

I have dry eye (dx by eye doctor and on drops) and very dry skin, joint pains, fatigue, rashes, sun sensitivity, mouth and nose ulcers, constand headache with migraines, dry nose, and hair loss at times. My doctor also thinks I could have Systematic Lupus, but ANA was negative this time (had a positive ANA a few years ago).

I would appreciate it if anyone knows if my mouth should be very dry or if my dryness may be caused by something else. The only meds I take are a daily vitamin, calcium with vitamin D and magnesium, and as needed vicodin and flexeril.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

Angie10 HB User
Re: No Dry Mouth?

Hi Brooklyngirl,

I don't really have issues with dry mouth, either. I also have not been officially diagnoses with Sjogrens because my doctor is not sure that there is not another autoimmune disease forming so does not know if the Sjogrens is primary or secondary. I have the dry eyes, skin, nasal passages, extreme joint pain, fatigue, Raynaud's, etc. I also have Fibromyalgia and IBS. My bloodwork came back with positive Anti-Ro and Anti-La, ANA, rheumatoid factor, and high sed rate. I was also negative for the lupus test (anti-dna?).

I'm currently on Restasis for my eyes and injectable methotrexate for the joint pain. I tried plaquenil but developed an allergy to the generic and the name-brand. Your might ask your doctor to consider trying you on Plaquenil to help with the joint pain and your overall autoimmune issues.

Hope this helps!

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

Danigirl22 HB User
Re: No Dry Mouth?

I have dry eyes and dry mouth. Not everyone with Sjogren's has dry mouth, but you can have Sjogren's with dry mouth that isn't very severe.

Some days my mouth is worse than other days. I need water if I have to talk a lot. My tongue and the roof of my mouth also get dry first. I started getting tartar build-up on my lower front teeth from the dryness. My dentist told me it's more dry there because it's furthest from the salivary glands. I think your cheeks get the most saliva, and your back molars.

I don't know if any of those vitamins or medicines you're taking could cause dry mouth, but you can ask a pharmacist.

Closed Thread