It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User
Tummy problems, anyone?

Hi there,

I've been having problems with tummy pain, nausea, significant weight loss, fullness and chronic diarrhea for about 2 years now. It has got so bad I can't work and I am terrified I'm not going to make it to my own wedding in 6 weeks.

A bit of background -

Was diagnosed with sjogren's by accident about 3 years ago. I am producing 0ml unstimulated saliva, and 0ml tears.

Unusual blood results --> elevated CK, elevated liver enzymes which have since resolved.

Had colonoscopy/endoscopy 3 years ago, since then flexible sigmoidoscopy, small bowel MRI, CT scan + chest xray (for lymphadenopathy), 2x ultrasound.

On prochlorperazine, hydroxychloroquine and loperamide.

Has anyone had any problems in a similar vein? My doctors are stumped and I am searching for an answer. I know that gastroparesis is associated with sjogren's. My doctor hasn't mentioned this but I am not vomiting.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

melons79 HB User
Re: Tummy problems, anyone?

I have tummy issues sometimes, pain in my stomach, diarreha but not actually being sick, i was told this was down to the sjorgrens as it also has similar symptoms as IBS, i hope this helps you and know you arent alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

trouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB User
Re: Tummy problems, anyone?

I have tummy trouble all the time. It controls my life, I don't go out to eat for fear I won't make it to their bathroom or home to my own bathroom. I also have constipation that lasts any time from a few days to two weeks. It really sucks when I don't go for several days to a couple weeks.

There can be any combination of tummy trouble. I was told that the constipation is common in Sjorgrens Syndrome because the bowels don't have enough water and the intestines don't produce enough mucus to keep them moving. But with Irritable Bowel Syndrome it can be with Diarrhea or Constipation or with a combination. There are medications out to help treat IBS with Diarrhea. Maybe your doctor would be willing to let you try one of the medications.

Also have you tried taking Imodium or pepto to slow down the diarrhea?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

cbg10 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tummy problems, anyone?

I am new as of last night so I am not sure what I am doing here. lol Time will tell. I too, have major tummy problems. I have celiac disease as well as Sjogrens but it is totally in control. I was diagnosed with Gastroparesis and now read just a few days ago that Sjogrens has a "like" Gastropareses. I have had so many tests ran from bginning to end on digestion. I finally just have to not eat for a while. Bloating, constipation et al. When reading about the like condition it speaks to the immotility of the whole thing. I have had that thought on my own.Wow, it is a lot to figure out, isn't it??? I am sure I am going to like this site. Others don't have a clue about what this all is for us. I stay very upbeat and I can see that most of you all do but it is really super frustrating at times.

Closed Thread