It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

sonique HB User
How is it diagnosed?

Hi everyone,
I have a family history of RA and lupus. Since I was a child I had joint pain and they called it "juvenile arthritis". After a few years it went away. I am 30 now and for the past year or so I've been getting very dry and itchy skin. If i don't drink water constantly, my skin gets super itchy! A few months ago, I got (twice in a month) blood in my eye. I went to the ophthalmologist who dismissed it as dry eye or "computer eye".
For the past six months or so I've been getting super tired, fatigued to the point of having to push myself to do my work. Also, I've been getting pain in my joints more often. In one visit to my orthopedist (because I have a pinched nerve on my neck and hip bursitis), he mentioned that given my family history I should get tested again for RA and lupus. I did years ago at my GP and she said my tests came back negative. This time he referred me to a rheumatologist. He did a bunch of blood tests including rheumatoid factor, lupus and RA, etcs (don't know exactly which ones). He included the Sjogren's one. This is the only one that came back positive. The doctor said that because all others came back negative, he cannot diagnose it. However, I am going back in 2 months to get tested again.
IN the meantime, I am fatigued at least once a week and lately Ive been getting chest tightness, as if someone is pushing on my chest.
I've been researching Sjogren's and I have most of the symptoms; however, in everyone's experience, how and when can I be 100% sure I have it???
Any answers are very appreciated! This is very new to me and I am still trying to figure out how much this is going to affect my future. Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
(female)

hamiltonND HB User
Re: How is it diagnosed?

have your rheumy do a salivary gland biopsy, that is one of the ways it is a positivly diagnosed. Good luck to you!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
(female)

sonique HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonND View Post
have your rheumy do a salivary gland biopsy, that is one of the ways it is a positivly diagnosed. Good luck to you!
Thank you! I will suggest that

Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
(female)

roseamb HB User

HiHave you b een checked for Firbromyalgia. Sjrogens is one of it's side effects along with the joint pain. Ihave most of the symptoms Hope you get some answers soon
Ask your Rhumy to test you or consier the possibility Rose

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
(female)

sonique HB User

Thank you! I will def make note of this and suggest it to my dr. This time I am going prepared to bomb him with questions

Reply Reply