It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

melilndamay HB User
Jaw, face and eye pain

Hi, I am new to this board. I have sicca syndrome with probably sjogren's syndrome and have not been treated for sjogren's yet. The past few months I have been having intense jaw pain, eye pain, and headaches. I've been to a neurologist and he prescribed topomax, but warned that there are many side effects and suggested I make "lifestyle changes" first. But, the pain is really getting to me. I am a one year survivor of papillary thyroid cancer, which was a difficult recovery in itself and now I am dealing with chronic migraine headaches, jaw and eye pain (and of course, severe dry eyes and mouth). I haven't taken Plaquenil, Evoxac or Salagen, but am wondering if they work well for people and if there are alot of side effects. Can anyone tell me their experience with any of these drugs? Thank you!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Jaw, face and eye pain

I have secondary sicca and have taken all the medicines you mentioned. I did not have very good luck handling the side effects of topamax, and on a different migaine preventative, a calcium channel blocker which does not prevent the migraines as well as topamax, works better for me and also helps with my Raynaud's. I know many people that swear by topamax, though. I have taken plaquenil for several years now and really believe it has been very effective for me with minimal side effects. I have been on the generic version of Salagen and just within the last year or so have been on Evoxac, which for me is a little stronger. Love them both as I can actually speak and eat without choking or diving for the water. The Evoxac also definitely is helping with feminine dryness as well! I can put up with the side effect of sweating a half hour or so after I take the pill. It lasts for 5 to 15 minutes, but that is a side effect I can live with. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to luca689:
melilndamay (10-10-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
melilndamay (10-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

melilndamay HB User

Thank you Gdiluca. I"m sorry you have had to be on so many meds. My med list seems to keep getting longer! I really appreciate your input of the meds. Doctors can never tell you what it really is like being on the drugs they prescribe. I am glad there are things that can help us feel better ... though you have to weigh the risks as well. I am getting acupuncture and I think it is helping. I've done alot of acu in my life and it has helped. I am also going to try myofascial pain release for the headaches. I think I will try the evoxax or salagen and talk to Rheumy about plaquenil when I see him at the end of month. Can you tell the migraine med you are on? I may not be able to take it, because I know there were some my neuro said were not for me. I forget why ... maybe because I am on synthroid and calcium post thyroid cancer and for hypoparathyroidism. I can barely keep track of all this stuff ... esp. since I started what seems to be early menopause! I forget things and get things mixed up. Never did before. At 46 with a 5 year old daughter, all I can say is, maybe the monthly pains will go away. I hope you are feeling well. Keep in touch if you'd like. Thanks again! Debbie

Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

I am on a calcium channel blocker called verapamil. I am on synthroid and take calcium plus an osteoporosis drug as well. I can't take certain migraine meds because of my Raynaud's. And believe it or not, I went thru early menopause , too, at the age of 39. LOL

Last edited by mod85; 10-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Reply Reply