It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
(male)

Rich 88 HB User
Sjogren's and Lung Issues

My mother died in Sept. after suffering a pulmonary embolism....She had Sjogren's Syndrome for years....I'm not sure how much of a role Sjogren's can play in a PE (if any) i hope someone will be able to shed some light on this...She used a machine to help break up mucus in her lungs (the machine was called a Smartvest), and she had some awful coughing bouts from time to time, but the day she died was horrifying.....She began coughing up large amounts of blood, right before EMS arrived she was no longer able to speak, she was awake but was gurgling and her stomach started to increase in size not sure what was happening there, I'm guessing she was bleeding internally?...

Anyway, upon arriving in ER, her heart stopped....She was revived after 14 minutes and was brain dead.....Based upon talking w/the doctors and knowing her wishes, life support was removed 4 days later and she died peacefully....

She had no heart issues, good BP, cholesterol levels, etc. and was a non-smoker, 78 years old.....I guess I'm trying to figure out if Sjogren's attributed to her death, or was in unrelated....

Thanks to anyone who can explain Sjogren's and how it is associated w/lung issues......

Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
(female)

sjogrens HB User
Re: Sjogren's and Lung Issues

I am so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, lung problems are fairly common with Sjogren's. What you described with the mucus is one of the most common lung complications - our lungs get drier, the mucus gets harder to expel, and we are more prone to infections as a result. I've had two rounds of bronchitis just since September, and have developed a wheezing cough that sounds a bit like asthma now.

Interstitial lung disease is a variety of diseases that are associated with Sjogren's (among other causes), and pulmonary embolisms can result from lung disease. I have no way of knowing if Sjogren's caused your mother's PE, of course, but it is possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
(male)

Rich 88 HB User
Re: Sjogren's and Lung Issues

Thank you for your reply....A couple weeks before she got sick, she had a colonscopy along w/an endoscopy.....The endoscopy revealed some fungi on her lungs, for which the MD prescribed something.....He didn't seem overly concerned about it, not sure how much of an effect, if any, it had on her PE....Yeah, she did have a host of lung issues but she seemed in reasonably good health, so it was a shock when she had the fatal PE back in Sept....

Reply Reply