It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

TexLaw88 HB User
Blood tests are positive, but not sure what they mean?

My neurologist, who treats my occipital neuralgia, did some bloodwork recently. I have the results. His office called to say it looked fine except I had a positive ANA and he did not "think it was rheumatoid arthritis". Because I was unsure of my results, I sent it to my gyno, who is also an endocrinologist and a doc that I really, really trust. He called me in for a consultation because he was concerned about the results. He referred me to a rheumatologist and opthamologist. He told me that I have sjogren's and need to be seen immediately. My results are:

SSA Antibody - 135 Positive
SSB Antibody - 15 Negative

ANA - 1:160 Positive
Pattern: Speckled, Homogeneous, Centromere

Smith Antibody - 18 Negative
RNP Antibody - 72 Negative
SCL 70 Antibody - 45 Negative
Jo1 Antibody - 31 Negative
Centromere B Antibody - 27 Negative
Histone Antibody - 16 Negative
Rheumatoid Factor - <20 Negative
DNA DS Antibody - 0 Negative
Thyroid tests were normal
B12 normal

Is this enough to be Sjogren's? Do I have all three of those ANA patterns? Is that a high ANA result? In a CBC that was done in August, I was told I am anemic. I have symptoms of Sjogren's and Lupus, but do not think my blood results support a dx of Lupus.

Can you please tell me if this warrants a visit to the Rheum?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
(female)

sjogrens HB User
Re: Blood tests are positive, but not sure what they mean?

Yes, I think you should see a rheumatologist. The ANA is not that high (mine was greater than 1:1280! The lab stopped measuring at that titer) and my SS-A also maxed out (meaning the lab stopped measuring) but a positive antibody is a positive, and should be investigated, especially if you have symptoms of an autoimmune disease.

With Sjogren's, it affects everyone differently. It can affect not just our eyes and mouths, but our joints, skin, lungs, kidneys, liver, nervous system and can cause extreme fatigue. SS-A antibodies are associated with a higher incidence of extraglandular complications, so I would start seeing a rheumatologist who can follow your condition. I get blood drawn every 3 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
(female)

TexLaw88 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I am scheduled to have an EEG this Thursday and an opthamologist on Friday. I couldn't get into the rheum until the 22nd, but I've faxed over my blood tests. I hate waiting!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
(female)

giamarie12 HB User

A resounding YES!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

TexLaw88 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I see the rheum today, so hopefully will get more answers. The opthamologist prescribed Restasis. She said my eyes were not very irritated, but the pool of tears I should have under my lower lid are definately diminished. I am just glad to finally have a name to these symptoms that I suffered with for years.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

TexLaw88 HB User

Rheum officially dx'd sjogren's yesterday. Wants me to start Evoxac for dry mouth and Cymbalta for pain. Eye doc put me on Restasis. Happy to finally have a name for this discomfort!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
(female)

chame HB User

Your Opthamologist needs to do a strip test to determine your level of dryness. A positive titer result in a blood test is not definitive for Sjogrens, just as probably a lot of people on this board never had a positive lab result for Sjogrens but clearly have a Sjogrens diagnosis. What defines Sjogrens are lymphocytes in the salivary glands. Lymphocytes are white blood cells that attack bad stuff in the body. Unfortunately, when an auto immune disorder arises, usually after a trauma either mental or physical, lymphocytes start attacking parts of the body. In the case of Sicca or Sjogrens, the salivary glands are the first part usually noticed; trouble swallowing, dry mouth, loose teeth, hoarse voice, etc. So a Salivary Gland Biopsy is ordered to determine the presence or non-presence of lymphocytes. If there are lymphocytes on a 4mm x 4mm sample of salivary gland, it is Sjogrens or Sicca syndrome depending on how many lymphocytes. There is no question that since lymphocytes are present where they should not be, the body is attacking itself by attacking the salivary gland. It will become Sjogrens when the requisite number of lymphocytes are present in the sample. Time to diagnosis after onset of symptoms averages six (6) years. While it is an auto-immune disorder that *may* resolve itself, I have not experienced a remission but look forward to it if that happens. In cases of extreme auto-immune diseases like MS, I don't know that remission happens.

Reply Reply