It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

bxq HB User
Blood Serum Eye Drops

Hi,

Has anyone tried Blood Serum Eye Drops for severe dry eyes resulting from Sjogren's Syndrome.

My doctor told me I have a blood test, wait two weeks, and pick up my blood in vials. The blood vials must be kept frozen. One vial is used at a time. Each time you pick up blood from the hospital is will cost $150.00. I think that's a little high.

Has anyone been told to try this for dry eyes?

bxq

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
(female)

LauraMac HB User
Re: Blood Serum Eye Drops

Yes, I've used them. That price does seem high. After my initial appt, the eye drop bottles were about $25 for about 3/4 (how every many bottles were made from my serum). I didn't really see much of a difference when using the drops and stopped using them after about 6 months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

chame HB User

No, I haven't and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try. My opthamologist gave me "Restasis" but that caused blurring and a little burning and only minimal relief. Then she suggested plugs that are inserted (painlessly) into my tear ducts and prevents the fluid in your eyes from draining. That helped A LOT! I'd recommend more conservative treatments like the above before pouring blood into my eyes which would freak out my kids, among other thing.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
(female)

LauraMac HB User
Smile Re: Blood Serum Eye Drops

Chamade,
They don't recommend these drops until you've exhausted all your other options. I have used Restasis for years and have punctal plugs in both eyes (upper and lower). And my eyes are still dry.
You aren't actually putting blood in your eyes. Your doctor will draw the blood, spin out the serum, and use that to make the drops. The actual drops are clear and you'd never know that it came from your blood.

Best Regards,
Laura

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

chame HB User

I'm familiar with the process. My ex-orthopedist used a similar process "Rich Plasma Replacement" in my elbow. So I know what the serum looks like. It's, as far as I know, not covered by insurance and the one injection I got - which never would have worked since the quack didn't even take an xray that would have shown the tendon was completely severed from the bone - cost me $400.00. The reasoning behind using blood products is to heal and promote healing. In this case, there isn't anything to heal. If it worked, insurance would cover it. My opinion, based on my own experience; albeit not related to eyes, is this is a waste of money. Even you said they didn't work.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

i've never tried the blood serum either and don't think i would. i've tried every drop under the sun, including restasis, all the samples that my opthamologist gave me and had the punctal plugs put in too....which fell out since i wear makeup to work and have to take it off when i get home. but...i just came upon this pretty new one. you know when you feel like you have sand in your eyes and they're burning and really irritated? i tried visine for dry eyes - enduring moisture. within a few minutes i couldn't feel the grittiness at all and it relieved that sore, tired feeling too. they do leave your eyes blurred for a bit, but if you keep blinking, they clear up faster. it's quite the relief for an over the counter eye drop. not sure if they're available in your country, but you could probably order them online. they're cheap. hey...why not try them. we've tried everything else..

Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
(female)

bxq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac View Post
Yes, I've used them. That price does seem high. After my initial appt, the eye drop bottles were about $25 for about 3/4 (how every many bottles were made from my serum). I didn't really see much of a difference when using the drops and stopped using them after about 6 months.
I've been using Blood Serum since January 2012. The doctor has me using it 4 times daily. I haven't found it to be consistent. I still rely on Systane vials to help control the severe dryness.

After trying Restasis, Punctal Plugs, and Scleral Lenses, I don't know what's left to treat severe dry eye syndrome.

Reply Reply