It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
(female)

Plaintired HB User
Peripheral neuropathy, neuralgia, vasculitis

I thought I would post information here about what has worked for me. Since 2005 I have been experiencing transient neuralgia, I get hypersensitive skin which moves from one location to another. It feels like a severe sunburn and hurts to the touch. One day it might be on my leg and another it might be my arm or back. Also in 2005 I started getting a form of vasculitis called petechiae, I would get a rash on my abdomen and thighs. In 2008 I began experiencing peripheral neuropathy in my hands, I would get a pins and needle feeling and the slightest bump to my hands would cause extreme pain, it felt like the my hand was being crushed in a vise. I had other symptoms: digestive problems, fatigue, aching joints, Raynaud's, wierd shooting pains in my body, and brain fog. In January 2010 I had a bad attack and was in such severe pain with the neuralgia I insisted that my Dr.s do a complete blood work up to find out what was wrong. I couldn't stand the pain anymore! This is when I found out that my ANA was positive and I was positive for SS-B. My doctor explained it as simply dry eyes and dry mouth, something I wasn't experiencing at the time. She did nothing to treat my symptoms. A couple of months later I went back to get a referral to a rheumatologist and she decided to perscribe Gabapentin which I began to take. I was taking 600 mg three times a day and I was still having neuralgia, the medication was not helping. I hate taking medication and if I can find an alternative I will!

I stopped taking the Gabapentin and after lots of research I began taking SAM-e (400mg daily) which is an amino acid derivitive, along with a B vitamin complex with folic acid. I also went on the Paleo Diet, eliminating all grains, legumes, potatoes, and processed foods. No artificial sweetners, preservatives, or hormones. Basically, if I can grow it, gather it, catch it, or kill it then I can eat it.

I have been doing this for nearly two years and my peripheral neuropathy has not flared up since, neither has my vasculitis. I have occasional mild episodes of neuralgia but nothing like I used to have. I still have fatigue but I just discovered I am hypothyroid so I am not sure if it is overlap or just the thyroid.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I don't know why the SAM-e helps me but it has made a huge difference in my life. One thing about it though - it says if you suffer from bipolar disorder you should not take SAM-e.

Last edited by Plaintired; 02-16-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply