It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

Knot HB User
Shingles

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect with shingles. Is it worse for people who have sjogrens? Or will it just run the same course as for anyone else? I was diagnosed this morning and put on antiviral meds. I also take plaquenil. The rash started on Tuesday. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot View Post
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect with shingles. Is it worse for people who have sjogrens? Or will it just run the same course as for anyone else? I was diagnosed this morning and put on antiviral meds. I also take plaquenil. The rash started on Tuesday. Thanks!
my mother had an autoimmune disorder and developed shingles after the death of her brother. they say shingles can develop because of something traumatic in someone's life. her shingles were the same as anyone else, but the pain is very severe in most people regardless. it was worse for a friend in my building. he got them in his eye and is nearly blind. my mother had them on the upper portion of her body, back, neck and upper arms. so i guess the severity really depends on where the lesions come up and how much pain you can tolerate. hope you get over this quickly. good that you're on the meds so soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to boobootwo For This Useful Post:
Knot (05-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

This is a vaccine for shingles now, and you should talk to your doctor about getting it if you're worried about shingles.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

Knot HB User

Thanks Boobootwo.I think I got lucky and the antivirals helped. I think I am on the mend.Feeling a bit rundown and somewhat sore, but not nearly as bad as it could be. My patch is fairly small (I think about 14 blisters in all.) and the worst part is that it's just at my bra line. It's healed enough to cover it before I get dressed so I am able to wear a bra again. From what I understand the pain can last long after the blisters heal though. I am glad to see you on the board again! Hadn't seen you in awhile and was worried that you may be sick. Hope you were just busy and not unwell.

Thanks too Fantine, I think I have heard of the vaccine but believe it's live vaccine and I have heard some conflicting opinion about live vaccine? Knot

Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot View Post
Thanks Boobootwo.I think I got lucky and the antivirals helped. I think I am on the mend.Feeling a bit rundown and somewhat sore, but not nearly as bad as it could be. My patch is fairly small (I think about 14 blisters in all.) and the worst part is that it's just at my bra line. It's healed enough to cover it before I get dressed so I am able to wear a bra again. From what I understand the pain can last long after the blisters heal though. I am glad to see you on the board again! Hadn't seen you in awhile and was worried that you may be sick. Hope you were just busy and not unwell.

Thanks too Fantine, I think I have heard of the vaccine but believe it's live vaccine and I have heard some conflicting opinion about live vaccine? Knot
thanks for your concern knot. i'm still around. have just been very busy. planning on moving back to my home town before the end of summer. had my yearly ana test done again and surprisingly it's negative again. it was negative a few years ago too. doc's say it doesn't mean that i don't have sjogrens and i've also read that the negative reading could mean that it will come back worse. have been having a lot of joint and spine pain, so not sure if it's the sjogrens, the fibro, the osteo or the menopause....lol. i know i certainly have to watch the stress. can't believe the degree of heart palps that i get when i stress about something...geez!! glad that you nipped the shingles in the bud early. my mother really suffered with the stabbing pain. poor thing...she went through so much....shingles, broke her neck in a car accident and then a year later she succumbed to leukemia. glad i was with her most of the time. you keep mending girl. glad you're not feeling too bad and again...thanks for the concern. so sweet of you.

Reply Reply