It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Unhappy Punctal plugs, are they comfortable?

Hiya, I've got LSSc and sicca and looks like I'm heading to punctal plugs. Are they comfortable? I've moved on from pilocarpine to Evoxac and Restasis and I'm finding myself using OTC eyedrops an awful lot again

Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
(female)

ablondegypsy HB User
Re: A full days work with sjogrens

I'm still on Pilocarpine, had punctal plugs until one duct pushed a plug out and effectively self-sealed. Restasis has not been of much help, but then their information says that it doesn't help patients who have plugs even though my eye doctor prescribed it for me. I use optical gels and ointments in addition to drops, but wonder if anyone has used the pilocarpine eye solutions. Humidifier is my best friend.

The Following User Says Thank You to ablondegypsy For This Useful Post:
luca689 (06-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

blb2037 HB User
Re: Punctal plugs, are they comfortable?

I have punctal plugs for many years and I say, "Go for it!" They are not uncomfortable, I have completely forgotten they are there. I do get checked once or twice a year and thats it,,,a piece of cake.
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to blb2037 For This Useful Post:
luca689 (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Hi, I was uncomfortable the first week but my doctor had warned me that I may be at first. Now I only feel them when I turn my eyes extremely to the sides wich I don't do often! I have to say that so far they have not helped with the dryness and pain but it sounds like they have helped others. I am still on FML drops and they arent helping either so I'm probably not the best person to give advice but I can say that you don't feel them and the procedure is quick and easy.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

ablondegypsy HB User

My punctal plugs caused me no discomfort at all, but I think the second one is starting to get squeezed out, too. Since they cancel out Restasis, you may want to research which is better. I like the plugs, but got even more relief from the pilocarpine. Never really got to test Restasis because I already had plugs and now that the tear duct is sealed off by the excess collagen, it is too late for it anyway.

Reply Reply