It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

texasmary HB User
Question Sweat glands affected by Sjogrens?

Does anyone know if sweat glands can be affected by Sjogrens? And if so, would underarm odor be affected? I haven't found anything online concerning this, but it would seem to make sense if Sjogrens affects salivary glands, tear ducts, etc. that perhaps sweat glands would also be involved.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dltt48 HB Userdltt48 HB Userdltt48 HB Userdltt48 HB User
Re: Sweat glands affected by Sjogrens?

Hi Texasmary. I have been wondering about this also. From what i have read and experienced myself, if you are taking any meds to increase you saliva like Salagen or Evoxac, alot of people will sweat more on these, usually a short time after taking the meds. I also found an increase in odor from sweat but only from the armpits and groin area-that is the only place we have certain sweat glands that will have an odor. Probably just from the increase in sweating. If your not on any of these meds, then i am not sure. I also started taking Turmeric and Ginger- natural supplements for inflammtion and noticed my sweat smelled awful so i quit taking it- took 2 weeks but i'm back to normal. I'm hoping that was it and am going to try them again seperately just to be sure because i've read they really can help. Good luck and i'm glad u asked the question-hopefully u will get some more responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

texasmary HB User

Thanks. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of sweat glands drying up and not producing as much as they used to (like salivary glands). I have been having something like hot flashes where I get very overheated... my scalp sweats but underarms do not produce as much as when I was younger. But there seems to be a very sharp odor, no matter how recently I bathed and no matter what deodorant I use. Not taking any supplements that I think would cause the problem. Just trying to think this through and was hoping for some answers from the wonderful folks on this board.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Yes all of your moisture glands can quit producing. Most people just complain about their eyes and mouth mostly. I got moisture back in alot of places using the medicine to stimulate them. I thought i was going thru menopause but my hormone levels were fine-now i have more vaginal moisture on the meds-i do sweat more overall, but its probably close to a nomal person now. I hope someone else answers your question about underarm odor-especially if mine turns out not to be my supplements-i have No idea and i have researched sweat glands and odor for months!

Last edited by dltt48; 07-11-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

MsMarty HB User

Dear DLT and Texas Mary. All our moisture producing glands are compromised, and sweating is one way our body's remove toxins. (hence the sweat lodges and spas). Taking the tumeric and ginger for inflammation is very good (along with cayenne, cloves, garlic and onions). The increased odor you experienced is your body getting rid of toxins! That is exactly what you want it to do. If you continue with the anti-inflammatory herbs and spices, over time the odor will dissipate as your body flushes. Also, taking a warm Epsom salts bath will help speed the de-tox effect. I started doing this about 3 years ago, and the impact was profound.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

shar621 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt48 View Post
Yes all of your moisture glands can quit producing. Most people just complain about their eyes and mouth mostly. I got moisture back in alot of places using the medicine to stimulate them. I thought i was going thru menopause but my hormone levels were fine-now i have more vaginal moisture on the meds-i do sweat more overall, but its probably close to a nomal person now. I hope someone else answers your question about underarm odor-especially if mine turns out not to be my supplements-i have No idea and i have researched sweat glands and odor for months!
What medicine do you take that help you have more vaginal moisture?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

The Evoxac helped with vaginal moisture. i just switched back to Salagen to see if it helped get rid of my night sweats and they have gone away, but the Evoxac works so much better for my mouth! I also quit sweating in the day time and don't have that funny underarm odor. i'm guessing i was just sweating normal sweat on the Evoxac just more of it (not used to sweating-never have), but my sense of smell is so off being so dry in my sinuses that i don't have a good sense of smell anymore. I think the Evoxac was causing my breasts to hurt too because after 2 months, that also went away-so now i am going to try it again and see. Could just be retaining water-have a full gyno work up scheduled soon. This disease is making me crazy-i'm so sick of hurting-especially my mouth-my tongue hasnt quit throbbing for 8 months now and the drs have no clue-i've read about burning tongue and that fits-can't imagine why any dr hasn't suggested that yet-it seems to go with sjogren's......so frustrated right now. good luck finding a med that works for you!

The Following User Says Thank You to dltt48 For This Useful Post:
MsMarty (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

shar621 HB User

How long did it take for vaginal moisture to improve?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

a few weeks. i heard it can take a while for the drug to take full effect, but it did help with dryness down there. my urethra had been hurting for months-from dryness and i believe inflammation from sjogren's.everything else in my body has swollen at some point from this illness....why not that also.. my gyno put me on hormone cream-no help with moisture. she had no clue.. Evoxac also helps with spit, with helps with having better sex along with more moisture. its worth a try-i've heard some like Evoxac, some salagen. I'm playing with both of them to see which works best with the least side effects... hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
(female)

shar621 HB User

what doctor can i visit that my give me a prescription?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

a rheumatologist is usually who prescribes for sjogren's.

Reply Reply