It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

Starbucking HB User
Unhappy Hearing loss and loud ringing in ear!

For years I have had Sjogrens Sydrome and have had several issues ranging from severe eye dryness ( now on Restatsis) which caused eye abrasions, joint pain, dental issues and peumonia. Along with that I have fluid of the knee due to arthritis and bursitis. 5 days ago I had a stressful morning at work and by noon I had a severe loud ringing in left ear with deafness. Went to audiologist and had hearing test which showed I had no hearing in left ear and lost 1/2 hearing in right ear. The Dr. said hearing aids would not help me. The constant ringing is so horrible that I cannot explain. Hardly sleeping. Has anyone heard of Sjogrens causing this? The Dr. Said it could be caused due to autoimmune or a small blood clot behind left ear but I should not worry. My d-dimer has been high since I got Sjogrens ranging from 1700-3200 so of course I am concerned this could be prelude to something else. Any thoughts or advice would be so appreciated. Btw, how am I suppose to work like this?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dltt48 HB User
Re: Hearing loss and loud ringing in ear!

starbucking, I've had alot of sinus and eustachian tube problems with sjogren's because of the lack of mucus and moisture. I'm guessing your ringing-which is sometimes Tinitus is related somehow to your sjogren's. Its hard sometimes to get a dr to understand that tho. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to dltt48 For This Useful Post:
Starbucking (07-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I've had tinnitus for over a decade. In almost all cases, it is due to damage to the auditory nerve and/or the hair cells in your inner ear, such as exposure to excessively loud music or other noises. I'm not aware of any relationship between tinnitus and sjogrens.

From your post, it would seem that your tinnitus is due to what is called "sudden hearing loss," which can be due to a virus or some physical trauma. Because you don't hear outside noises, your brain "turns up the gain" and you start to hear ringing or pulsing noises. I would put up a post on the Tinnitus Support Message Board and ask for an ENT or audiologist who specializes in this.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-16-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Fantine:
Starbucking (07-16-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
Starbucking (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
(female)

Starbucking HB User

Thank you for the info. How do you cope this ringing? It is driving me mad! I am not seeing any relief from the prednisone. My ENT says Monday what will be happening is tubes put in and Predisone injections! Thanks!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

Jacque51 HB User

Hi I am also new here. I just wanted to let you know I, too, have hearing loss (pretty bad) and severe ringing in the ears. I have had the problem beginning about twelve years ago. It has progressed rapidly in the past year. I have not been seen by an audiologist (due to lack of insurance), but I had hearing tests done at my previous job and I wondered why my hearing was getting worse, even with my wearing hearing protection. Thanks for sharing....

The following user gives a hug of support to Jacque51:
Starbucking (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

Knot HB User

Hi, I was diagnosed a year ago and have had ringing in my ears too. My orthodontist thought it was due to my TMJ and I now wear a splint to bed every night. It seems to have helped me. Your problem may be more complicated than mine though as I haven't had any issues with hearing loss. My biggest problems are fatigue, hair loss, and muscle and joint pain. Lately I get a lot of unexplained bruising...no idea why.

My advice would be the same as Fantaine. I would do a lot of research and make sure that I was completely comfortable with a Dr's opinion before I went ahead with anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Knot For This Useful Post:
Jacque51 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

Jacque51 HB User

Hi Knot Thanks for your reply. My progressive hearing loss and loud ringing in the ears is probably the most disturbing of my symptoms. I have not been diagnosed with Sjogren's because I never linked all my symptoms to one source, and no one doctor has seen me for everything. I also suffer from debilitating fatigue. It has effected my job very much, to the point I don't know where to go from here. I do research different symptoms and hearing loss, in particular. I am concluding that it may be a result from this condition. I will find out more after I have seen a doctor (which will be very soon). I definitely have a problem with my jaw and teeth (excessive teeth grinding) but my dentist has said that is the way I deal with stress for which he recommended a mouthguard.
Another of my symptoms beginning about twelve years ago are dry eyes. They hurt so badly everyday that I have to roll my eyes for relief. My mouth and nose are dry, too, and have been for a few years, with them getting worse. I appreciate your feedback.....

Old 09-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
(female)

Starbucking HB User

I did have tube put in ear and they did 3 injections of prednisone in tube However I still have the loss of hearing and the ringing. I have gotten use to it now and it seems like my brain ignores the ringing I too have fatigue and joint pain. This cooler weather is making my joints ache and even going up and down my stairs feels awful. I wish all of us a fall full of beautiful colors and fresh pain and less of this disease Sjogrens

The following user gives a hug of support to Starbucking:
Jacque51 (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
(female)

Jacque51 HB User

Hi Starbucking
I am curious about the tubes put in your ears. My son also had tubes put in his, for loss of hearing and fluid buildup. I am not familiar with the procedure done except to remove fluid building up. He was just a child at the time. I am glad you seem to have gotten some relief from the ringing in the ears. I had been exposed to loud noise in the workplace and my hearing loss started probably 20 years after I had left that job, used ear protection on the next job, was told I had mild hearing loss at that job (after a hearing test) and had a pretty bad case of tinnitus then. I would rate them both very disturbing now. Because I have so many of the symptoms associated with Sjogren's, along with this, I believe there may be a connection from my researching it. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
(female)

Starbucking HB User

I think this s a fairly new procedure in hopes of helping with the ringing. I took a round of oral prednisone and then 3 injections in the tubes. I really don't think it helped too much however I do wonder if my brain has learned to deal with it. Weird huh? I just hate to be in a silent room, that's when the ringing is crazy. My audiologist doesn't think that my hearing will come back. My rhuemy thinks that the Sjogrens was a factor. Hope the info helps. We need all the info and help with dealing with Sjogrens that we can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to Starbucking For This Useful Post:
Jacque51 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
(female)

Jacque51 HB User

I am so glad I found this forum because it helps so much to know you are not alone. Thanks for the info about the tubes in your ears. It was very helpful, as I hadn't heard it done to try to alleviate or lessen the ringing in the ears. I am learning a lot by reading these posts and I have not felt this supported since I first came down with these symptoms. Knowledge is power. I hope to get some relief from the exhaustion, etc., by keeping tuned in here. I know what you mean by, when all is quiet, the ringing in your ears is just accentuated. That is at my worst, too! The ringing is making me crazy, as it has gotten louder than it was two years ago. I feel as though my thinking is impaired, so I hope you, and others who may read this, will excuse me if I forget what I read. I also feel pretty miserable most times because I cannot seem to control the severe hot flashes I believe is also associated with all the stress of this. It's a 10 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst). I went into menopause in 1999. Will it ever stop?? I hope I have not droned on and on too much. Sorry!!! Thanks for your feedback though. I appreciate it.....

Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
(female)

Starbucking HB User

Don't give up and try to rest when u can! I have hot glasses too but it could be Sjogrens , menopause or medications, who knows! Keep the faith

Reply Reply