It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

Knot HB User
Restasis

Can anyone tell me what their experience is using Restasis? Does it help a lot or is there not much improvement? My Optometrist is getting concerned about the level of dryness in my eyes (I already have punctal plugs) and we are debating Restasis. He hasn't seen many patients have much improvement and is hesitant about prescribing it. My Rheumy says he has a couple of patients who use it and they haven't seen a big improvement and when he has attended conferences he hasn't heard a lot of good feed back about it. It is very expensive and if it doesn't work is it worth it?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Restasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot View Post
Can anyone tell me what their experience is using Restasis? Does it help a lot or is there not much improvement? My Optometrist is getting concerned about the level of dryness in my eyes (I already have punctal plugs) and we are debating Restasis. He hasn't seen many patients have much improvement and is hesitant about prescribing it. My Rheumy says he has a couple of patients who use it and they haven't seen a big improvement and when he has attended conferences he hasn't heard a lot of good feed back about it. It is very expensive and if it doesn't work is it worth it?
hi knot! long time no see...lol. i tried restasis for about 1 1/2 years and saw some improvement in the sense that it seemed to get rid of the mucus in my eyes, but didn't really help all that much. in canada, it costs about $145 for a 30 day supply. there are other over the counter, ampoules without preservatives that are a lot cheaper, but pretty much give the same results. i've tried several and i like something called...clear eyes for dry eyes. i put a drop in before bedtime and sometimes i use refresh tears and visine for dry eyes, advanced plus. you will just have to keep trying them until you find something that works for you. my opthamologist said, with all the humidity we've had this year that my eyes look better than they have since i started to see him. i was shocked because they don't feel that way. i just had cataract surgery on both eyes and i'm still on the antibiotics and steroids, so we'll have to see how i do once i'm done the drops. hope this helps. you can use most drops several times a day if you have to. good luck with everything and keep me posted if you find one that works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

Knot HB User
Re: Restasis

Thanks Boobootwo! (it has been awhile. Good to see you) Your experience seems "on par" with what I've heard. I'm having a hard time understanding all the "hype" around this product. I really thought it would work better than what I've heard it does. Did you have to use a steroid drop with it in the beginning? I'm under the impression that you do. I'm not big on steroids. Glad to hear your cataract surgery went well. My mom had hers done a few years ago and I think that all the drops was the worst of it. We know how tedious drops can be! lol. Have you ever tried Lacricert? My Optometrist got me a sample to try. Not sure what I think yet. It is very expensive and not covered by my drug plan. Used it at night last night and the left one popped out. They are little pellets that you put in your lower eye lid and they slowly dissolve. Great concept but I hope it will stay in tonight We'll see...I use Refresh tears too, but in the am I like to use Systane Balance. Seems the best then as I wake up with my eyeball stuck fast to my eyelid and have to massage them to get them open. Not with mucous though, just stuck. I use Lacrilube before bed. I dunno...sometimes I wonder if there is a solution. Anyway...take care. Knot

Reply Reply