It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sjögren's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Kidney stones

Does anyone here have recurring kidney stones? I had one total blockage from sand-like "grit" 15 years ago, but had bouts of bladder irritability before & since that. This month my bladder made me so miserable that I went to my GP, then to urologist. Oho! Ultrasound showed two stones still in one kidney, and I'm pretty sure I passed multiple stones in the days before the U/S.

I was diagnosed years ago with lupus. The lupus literature says lupus patients are at no greater risk for stones than the general population. But I just read that kidney stones are sometimes seen in SJOGREN'S. That REALLY caught my eye because I'm in the lupus "subset" that's positive for anti-Ro & anti-La---which are, of course, seen in Sjogren's, too.

So now I'm curious if anyone here battles stones. And what's helped prevent recurrence? I drink a lot of water (lifelong habit), live in a 4-season climate, and avoid sun (because I had lupus rashes for years, plus overall worsening after sun). Thanks so much for any thoughts, Vee

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Kidney stones

Vee, does lupus have secondary Sjogren's like sclero? Kidney stones are/can be a complication in sjogren's but I can't find out how rare. It seems to cause Distal renal tubular acidosis but that is also associated with lupus as well. Give that a looksee and see if that fits. The quick info that I could get concerning stone prevention is that it depends on what type of stones you have. There is no prevention for the uric acid type that I could find quickly, but you can look at diet, salt and water intake for the other types. For instance, in the cystine type, it might well be recommended to drink a gallon of water at least every day. Try a national institute source from the US dept of health as a reference point, in addition to your Drs. Maybe someone else may have more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Luca. The stones that showed on Ultrasound didn't show on X-Ray, which MAY rule out the calcium oxylate & calcium phosphate types. I just did 24-hr. urine collection, should have results in 7-10 days.

I also saw info on distal renal tubular acidosis. I haven't yet had any tests that could disprove it, or leave it on the table.

I also think Sjogren's can occur secondary to lupus. But it seems stones can also happen in absence of all such conditions, just due to family traits. My mom had chronic bladder problems that surgery didn't correct; and in her old age she learned she'd somehow lost a kidney, one had withered (scary). My dad had gout. i.e., I may have familial risk factors. I told my uorlogist all this.

My "plan" is to await the 24-hr. collection findings & hopefully will learn stone composition. I know to go to ER for total blockage, which it didn't this time. What's weird: for years I thought I had some sort of episodic cystitis, but now I'm wondering if I've been forming grit all along, just bigger this time.

Here's a snicker. A few weeks ago, I was actually crawling from room to room, which my dog perceived as a fine game. (I'm laughing now, wasn't then.) Anyway, thanks again for your comments, which are very on-target with my list so far, which confirms that I must have a pretty decent list going, as your input is always so dead-on. Very best wishes for the new year, Vee

Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Happy New Year to you too! One of my coworkers is lucky with the familial type of stones. He has no AI disease or nor anything else and takes very good care of himself but gets them nonetheless. And yeah, you might have something there with it not being cystitis. May your New Year be less "stoney"!

Reply Reply